Throttle linkage disconnected on '89 YJ

On my way home from work today my gas peddle went flat to the floor. I looked under the hood, used some string to keep the ball and socket linkage together and babied it home. What came off, anyone know? Is there also a spring involved here? Thanks! Joe '89 YJ 4.2 5spd

Reply to
Joe C

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Mine also does that now and then. It is a pain. There is a spring clip that was spot welded to the socket. They break at the spot weld. Besides Bill's fix, you need a new cable as far as I know.

Mike

Mike Romain

Bill's fix will work for now(and maybe forever), but I'll run over to Jeep tomorrow. I haven't had much luck with them lately though, it seems they are starting to list many parts for my old YJ as "discontinued" !!!!!! Joe '89 YJ 4.2 5spd

Reply to
Joe C

Right on the money Mike!! I had to buy the rod that connect the carb to pedal linkage. There was a spring clip on both ends. The one on the lower end was rusted and worn. I guess after 18 years and 152000 miles......... At $37.00, I thought it was a little overpriced, but I was glad it was still available. Right now I'm tooling around with Bill's fix. Thanks, Joe '89 YJ 4.2 5spd

Reply to
Joe C

I like Bill's fix. Loop the paperclip around the ball's base, make a 90 with it and loop it around the socket's base. I have some stainless wire around from old ground clips on cigarette lighter adapters I might use instead of the paper clip.

Mike

Joe C wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I just picked up the new link. It looks as though you have to actually crimp the little clips yourself after you slip it over the ball. Does that seem correct? I was under the impression that they were preformed spring steel that would slip, under pressure, over the ball! Ugggh!! Also, any reason I wouldn't apply a little grease to these two points? Thanks. Joe '89 YJ 4.2 5spd

Reply to
Joe C

You're kidding....

No wonder they break, planned obsolescence at it worst. If you have to bend them, that takes the temper out of the bend and they 'will' fail eventually. Especially if you remove them once or twice because they do snap on and off once bent. Planned it would seem.

I would try it first without bending to see....

My failure is on the cable end, but the same part.

Mike

Joe C wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain