Tierra Del Sol Desert Safari

Attended my first safari this weekend :-) It's a bit far from home (200 miles one way) and a bit crowded (1500+ drivers!), but I had fun.

My friend with a 98 TJ has gone every year for the last 7 or 8 years, so after buying a used 95 XJ back in October, I got talked into going.

10 miles out, he breaks down for the first time! (Bummer). So we reload his stuff into another friends vehicle and left his TJ behind. He was bummed, but now I had a spotter ;-)

Now, my XJ is bone stock, except for the slightly oversized

235/75r15's, and my friend is used to driving his highly modified TJ. So every time we hit a place where the "easy" path splits off from the moderate/hard stuff, he's like "go THAT way!", pointing NOT to the easy path :)

I got through everything I attempted, with a few retries here and there. There was some stuff that HAD to be moderate stuff mis-marked as easy ;-)

So now I have a desire to get skid plates, a small lift and maybe some slightly larger tires (Not ready to invest in stronger axles / higher gears for a while).

My friends laugh when I worry about new squeaks and groans coming from the Jeep. "Join the club!" they say. I say I'm still going to visit my mechanic friend to have him give it a once over ;-)

Has anyone else attended this safari??

noneyabusiness

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Don't "invest" in a "small" lift, you will be wasting money. Avoid "incrementalism" if at all possible. Incrementalism is upgrading the same part twice. Spring for the RE super flex 3.5" lift kit. and some 31" tires. You'll be very capable and glad you got the kit. It is a high-quality, easy-to-install kit. Be sure you get the one with the full rear leaf springs, NOT add-a-leaf.

With a 3.5" lift, you will clear 31's easily. All your stock equipment will handle 31's without trouble. As long as you don't get a locker, you will not need to get stronger axles, and your stock gears will be fine. You can later add a 3" front coil spacer and a 2" block with 1" shackle 6.5" of lift and clear 33's.

Squeaks and groans are bushings that will be replaced when you install your new RE suspension.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl