TIG Welding on a TJ

Hi, I was planning on moving the coil spring perch's on the Dana44 on the back of my TJ to bring them back level under normal circumstances, due to a suspension lift then arm adjustments to realign the pinion angle. I am planning on using my TIG it has HF or Lift start as an initiation sequence. What safety precautions would be recommended in relation to the electrics on the vehicle before beginning to weld.

Cheers Nick

Reply to
Nick

Keep the ground as close to your work as possible and stay away from the gas tank. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

I usually disconnect the battery as well, but I may be off base on that. Figure it doesn't hurt.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

I have done plenty of MIG and SMAW welding on vehicles with no problems, but considering the effects of HF with TIG, I would disconnect the battery ground to protect components. Perhaps not necessary, but it couldn't hurt.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Bill,

Tarps?

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Not off-base at all. It is a very good idea, and most auto companies recommend this as well. There is a risk of ruining the computer. Even static electricity can damage an EPROM.

Chris

Carl S wrote:

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

What do you use the tarps for?

Carl

Not the plastic covers, you might buy from China. You may substitute a > heavy

Reply to
Carl S

Reply to
djdave
97-05 >BFG<

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

It would be kind of difficult to throw the tarps under a Jeep? Thats what I figured the F.E was for, and the hose. I certainly wouldn't want a tarp thrown on me if I was on fire. I would hopefully remember to stop, drop, and roll.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Good point, Bill. I can't wait to tell my friends "If I catch on fire and start running around, tackle me with this blanket". I can see the misery now.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Watch how they /did/ it.

Things have changed in the last 20+ years in the TV/film biz, almost exclusively CGI now.

Watch a fireman or a paramedic or a rescue crew; they work with real, unprepared people, not other professionals who paid to get set on fire.

Reply to
bubonic

SOP these days is fire extinguisher FIRST -- and a good dose, better to freeze than fry -- plus some cooling agents or topical painkillers, THEN the blanket.

And then quickly to the nearest hospital or better, a Burn Unit.

Reply to
bubonic

I have a great idea. If I weld in the nude, I'll be less likely to catch on fire. I'm a genius! Who needs some welding done?! >BFG<

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Of course a fire extinguisher:

as per previous post. I'm never more than fifty feet from one. Commercialtrucks must tell you where theirs is by law via signage:
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com >

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to