timing chain cover replacement on 84 CJ7

84 CJ7 inline 6, 4.2 L

My mechanic over torqued the bolts into my timing chain cover and is leaks oil like no tommorrow. I am going to replace this cover this weekend. Aside from the timing chain gasket, what else should I be replacing while I have it dismantled. Also, where can I rent the appropriate puller to remove the harmonic balancer? Do I need an impact wrench for removing the retaining bolt, or is there a secret there too?

I don't have the official shop manual (only Haynes).

As you can tell, I'm a bit of a novice.

thx for the help.

DP

Reply to
david.prill

Our local parts store, Canadian Tire 'loans' out tool like the puller. Similar places in the US do too, but I am not up on them.

If you can't get the bolt out, you can carefully use a breaker bar and the starter on it. You make sure which way the pulley is going to turn and brace the bar against the frame and on the bolt, then hit the starter. The bar comes up hard on the frame and the bolt should spin off or break free.

You also should put a new front oil seal in the case too. The seal goes in on the ground, then you put the seal over the crank to center it nice before you tighten down on the case. If you put the case on first, the seal might not be center and it will just pour oil out.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Thanks Bill, I knew I was forgetting something.....

Mike

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Autozone in my part of the US. They will "sell" you the tool, and then refund your money when you are done with it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton