Tire Query

I'm looking for a set of good quality all-season tires for a 2000 Grand Cherokee. Majority of my driving is highway (est. 80%), gravel roads (10%) and town (10%). Living on the edge of the Cdn prairie, cold winters with or without snow. Plenty of icy conditions during winter, hot summers with sporadic heavy rains. Despite the small amount of time on gravel, hard-pack drifting snow is there each and every day in the winter regardless of highway conditions.

There are a set of Goodyear Wranglers on the Jeep right now (purchased with these). Terrible tires in that with about 40 % tread remaining they are the poorest tires I've ever used for highway ice and snow. I have a set of Nokians on my Civic. These have been the best tires I've ever used for winter conditions, and I'm not sure if they have anything for the Jeep, but I'm also thinking that there has to be something available from a more general supplier route (Nokians have a limited supplier base).

thanks to any and all

Reply to
Monroe

check out

. BFG all terrain t/a seems to do well in everything except deep mud.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

We are in Canada also and have BFG AT's on our Cherokee. They work well for the conditions you describe. Just don't go too wide. We lost considerable traction when we went one size larger than is called for. Ours calls for P225's max and we went P235's because we got a deal on them. They spin a bit easier and start to float on the highway at a bit lower speed than the old P225's.

Mike

Mike Romain

Michelin truck mud&snow LTX series. I replaced the original Goodyears when they wore out at 20K miles based on the Jeep dealer recommendation. The Michelins lasted for 95K miles. And I drove semi-annually from Dallas to Sacramento on over 100 degree days then through the snow in the Sierra Nevada. Also took the Jeep to "the highest highway in America" at the Rocky Mountains National Park, and the lowest at the Saltan Sea. They were rated for 80K miles and I replaced them at 95K, last month, with tread still on them, but it's winter in the Sierra Nevada and we live at the four-thousand-foot level, using 4WD most of the time, so I did it just to be safe- could have probably gotten another 5-10K. Not only the best tires I've experienced, the best I've ever heard of. My 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee now has 125K miles, without a single tire problem. I do inflate to 40psi though, which gets better mileage.

Reply to
Billzz

I use the Michelin X Radial LT on my TJ and like it a lot. Mainly a road tire (LT = light truck), I have found it to be a big improvement over the sucky Goodyear Wranglers that it came with. I got mine at BJ's (Costco type store here). Works good in the snow and very good in the rain. Made the TJ handle so much better under normal conditions on roads. Does what I want in my not very demanding off road stuff (never felt tire-limited).

Ad Mike notes, the trade-off for going wider will be riding on top of snow instead of cutting through to the pavement. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Anyone running the BFG Rugged Trail AT's? I am also looking at replacing my tires.

Kevin in Iowa

99XJ
Reply to
Kevin in Iowa