Tire recomendation?

Greetings and Happy Holidays!

It's time to replace tires on my 97 Jeep Wrangler..I now have Goodyear Wrangler p225/75r ...bought the jeep used ,I think they might be original.I do most of my driving in the following ratio: 50% highway 55-65 mph---40% curvy paved mountain roads---10% dirt and gravel fire roads. I need excellent snow performance ....I live at high elevation in western NC. I've tentativey decided on 225/75SR15 Goodyear Wrangler RT/S .....any comment or other suggestions? Stock wheels...7" I think,not interested in changing wheels or lift kits,etc.

Thanx !

Reply to
Warren Pomphrey

L.W.(ßill)

I highly recommend the BFG AT's.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

On 20 Dec 2003 03:56 PM, Warren Pomphrey posted the following:

I used to be a Goodyear dealer and in my opinion the RT/S is a piece of crap. In the goodyear lines, the best thing to get for your situation is a set of 235/75R15 Wrangler AT/S. Going to the 235 size is a very small change in terms of circumference and height, but there are a lot more options available than there are in the 225 size as far as load ranges go. If you are willing to spend a little extra money, you can get light truck rated tires in up to load range "D" in the 235/75R15 which will hold up better than the "P" rated tires you currently have, which were actually designed for use on passenger cars.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

BFG ATs will be perfect for your needs.

Look great too.

John Davies Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

I am using the new Bridgestone 225/75SR15 Dueler A/T Revos on my YJ. I got them from Tire Rack. I've had them for several months now and they are very sticky in rain and worked well in the 3 feet of snow we recently aquired. They ride very nicely and don't seem very loud. I was mainly interested in a good rain tire and these are great all-round. You could jump to 235's if you feel the need to prove your manhood.

Dana Rohleder Port Kent, NY

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

I have several friends who are also running these (not on Jeeps, but I try not to hold it against them). They love 'em.

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

Replaced by GY's with a new set of these a little more than a month ago. There're great.

Really quite for they're aggresive looking tread, too.

Ron

..Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Reply to
Ron

The Wrangler RT/S are a very quite ride, but offer horrible snow traction. I would suggest Goodyear Wrangler Radial tires in size 235/75R15 for your needs.

Reply to
Mark12211

I concur. I got 40,000 out of my Goodyear Wrangler RTSs on my new truck. I replaced them with BFG ATs and got nearly 60,000 miles, and there was life left on them. I have BFGs on my superduty and CJ. Good tires. However I cannot attest to their snow traction.

Reply to
Jeepers

I had the stock Wranglers on my 90' Jeep and replaced them with Kelly Safari AWR after about 50k. I live in Rochester NY, we get extreme weather, be it snow/ice/rain...you name it, we get it. I had the Kelly's on my old jeep for

5 years and loved them. Got them on my wifes Cherokee last year when her Wranglers were losing tread. Now on my newer TJ just waiting to put the Kellys on again. The Wranglers were not as good in the snow/ice. I didn't notice too much difference in the rain. The only thing I would say they are slightly better then the Kelly's are for cornering (not a great idea in a Jeep). I think this is because they are so hard. I'm not an expert, this is just my opinion. Good luck.
Reply to
Wood