tire time.

Yep.. it's time for new rubber.

Currently running P255 75 R15. OEM was P215, but in all fairness that's not a hell of a lot of clearance. Just that the 255 tires are more common and easier to replace if I get a flat in the middle of nowhere.

Thinking about going back to the Michelin LTX M/S tires as they lasted a good long time and did very good on ice. Just didn't clear that well on mud.

The latest set of Bridgestone AT Revo's although they clear well have just not worn nearly as well as the Michs did. They have done quite well in mild off-roading, some rocks, some dirt/mud. Still pack up, but they clear quicker.

To be fair I have an aggressive alignment. I could probably save a bit of wear by cutting toe and caster. But that's a trade off for much more stable handling at highway+ speeds. Camber of course is not adjustable.

Prior to that were Pirelli Scorpion II's .. well, they rock on the highway and in rain, but sucked rather loudly on even moderate muck. Did corner like a sports car though. They do make the Scorpion ATR. Looks about the same contact patch as the Mich or Dueler A/T.

I dunno.

Of course I could always slap a 4" lift kit and 33s on it. :) neh.... While being fun it would cost me more than the vehicle is worth. :/ But it would be fun... :]

Reply to
DougW

I've ran BF Goodrich tires since my first CJ-7 in 1979. I curremtly have

33" BF Goodrich MTs on my 86 CJ. I do have a 2 1/2" lift. I bought my current tires in 1998 and they still have a ton of tread left. Granted, my CJ is not my primary transpo, but the tires have lasted a long long time.
Reply to
Jo Baggs

Have you considered the Dick Cepek Mud Countrys?

have them on mine. They are good all around.Climb like crazy, clear out exceptionally well, quieter than most on the highway and have a soft enough composition that they even grip pretty well on wet rocks. Not all that expensive either!

I doubt they will wear forever, but I do use the heck out of them and I rotate and balance regularly.

K.

[...]

Kate

Here ya go... one of only two that made it through without being winched.

Kate

I ran the tread off the Michelin M+S but just converted over to the LTX AT/2

They appear to be doing a bit better on Colorado mountain clay/muck. A bit noisier than the M+S but the new larger pipe exhaust system seems to help drown that out a bit. They are also pretty good on deep rain slicks, to me just a tad better than the M+S but I had a lot of miles on the M+S. Also not that bad on sloppy snow over a foot deep on and off pavement. Biggest improvement is on sloppy vegetation over the M+S.

They arent as aggressive a tread as the older Michelin AT or the Pirelli AT. PZero's they hain't but I prefer to keep the round things downward and the luggage rack on the pigeon poop side of the Jeep anyway.

Reply to
Lon

evbeergoggles.com

Hey Doug,

Don't laugh. I actually have the Mich LTX MS load E on my 30 foot motorhome. lol. The only problem I have with them is the sidewalls are finally starting to crack and they are about 4 years old. But, hey in a motorhome, thats about the life of a tire for safety reasons.

Anyway, though you would get a kick out of that. Take care,

Reply to
ULB

I won't laugh. :) My last Mich LTX M/S tires had nearly 55,000 miles on them when I replaced them. And they still had legal tread left! I gave them to a co-worker that needed some for his farm trailer. (just one of those you drag around the back 40) Far as I know he's still using them.

The only thing I didn't like about those tires is they sucked on wet grass and packed up too easily in mud. They have great grip on everything else though.

To keep them from cracking you need to either cover them when not in use or apply some sort of treatment to the rubber. Your basic black plastic trash bag works wonders, the neighbor had some vinal tire covers made.

Reply to
DougW