tire wear - '92 Wrangler ????

too hot to be outside today, so one thing I wanted to do was update all my car maintenance logs. since the tires on the Wrangler are getting thin, I added up all the tires I've put on it since new........they last about 25,000 miles each. anybuddy think that's not right - want to take a guess?

this is long, but trying to anticipate your questions:

ordered new with 5 225X15's (Goodyear Wrangler multi-purpose). all

5 tires have always been rotated regularly.

those were shot at 35,000 miles and were replaced with 5 235X15 Goodyear HTs (highway tread).

those were shot at 71,000 miles so replaced with 5 235X15 Dunlop Radial Rovers

those were shot at 107,000 miles so replaced with 5 more 235X15 Radial Rovers which are getting thin now at 122,000 miles.

assume I can get maybe 5000 miles more then have to replace......add it up and that will be 25 tires used-up in 127,000 miles!

symptoms: they all wear absolutely evenly all across the tread, right & left side, front & back. as said, always rotated regularly but direction of rotation never changed. since rotating them didn't seem to help, I didn't rotate the latest set for 12,000 miles --- and they're wearing out faster - but still all are wearing evenly. pressure always kept at factory spec: 28 front, 32 rear

use/maintenance: this is a suburban, paved-road only vehicle that has been very well maintained. just about everything - except the starter - has been replaced at least twice on this beast: radiators, water pumps, alternators, etc. although it's been babied. (but never any problem with engine or fuel injection, thank goodness).

every suspension/steering bushing was replaced at about 30,000 miles with urethane bushings. the shocks went at about 20,000 and were replaced with gas-charged. ball joints and tie-rod ends were replaced at about 70,000 miles. the front wheel bearings/hubs, and front axle joints have been replaced twice! the vehicle tracks straight and true - you can go down the road for miles without your hands on the wheel. took it in for front & rear allignment twice and both shops said it was spot on.

am I expecting too much, or am I missing something? I get tired of people with Brand X trucks and 4X4s telling me about getting 80,000 miles on a set of tires!!!!!

Reply to
Butt Im Learnin

The Wrangler STs that came from the factory on mine lasted a long time.

When I bought it the odometer read 59,006 miles and had 2 bald tires and two others that were showing their steel belts.

I'm assuming there were the factory tires because there was no evidence of old wheel weight marks.

Reply to
billy ray

Sounds like a lot of parts on your Jeep are wearing out early. A lot of the parts you talk about having been replaced typically last well into the

150,000+ mile range. Do you drive fast, take a lot of hard corners, or have a teenager that drives your Jeep? Do you drive it in 4hi on paved roads? Have you tried BF Goodrich All-terrain T/A's? They are known for being long-lasting, great tires.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I got 90,000 miles from my Goodrich T/As and there was still a little life left in them......... Joe

1989 YJ 4.2 5spd
Reply to
Joe C