Tires

I bought some Pirelli Scorpions tires for my RAM 4x4 the Goodyear's have worn out and were really squirrely due to the light rear end of the truck. The Pirellis also performed well off road during my hunting excursions this past fall.

I am thinking of getting a set for my 04 TJ have the stock Goodyear's and I really don't think much of them other than they have 40k on them and have worn well. Has anyone used Pirelli Scorpions on their Jeep and what are your thoughts.

My TJ is stock and mainly I do lots of wood land trails. This past late spring we went to Sedona and spent 2 weeks what a beautiful place. My long time friend who works for the Department of the Interior got transferred there and is a mucky muck Ranger so to speak. He issued us a special pass so we could go into some of the areas that only the tours can go into and are closed to all others, what a blast. If I could find work there I would move yesterday so would the wife. It was my first time in the desert with the TJ other than being in a Hummer on military opps. We also rode up to the northern rim of the Grand Canyon from Sedona and there was still a lot of snow on the ground in that area the view was amazing.

Since gas has gotten outrageous I have been using the TJ as the daily driver and leaving the RAM to sit and use on the week ends. In perspective 18-20 mpg on the TJ compared to 13 on the Ram makes the TJ seem attractive for fuel efficiency.

Thanks,

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

I don't know about a TJ, my friend of 30 years has a 95 tahoe and he loves his scorpions, on and off road. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Reply to
ULB

The last set of scorps I ran on the ZJ would not be considered off-road tires. :) They however had wonderful grip on dry/wet pavement and were ok on gravel and dirt. They however sucked much on snow/ice and deep water. The brand was Pirelli Scorpion II, and I'm not sure they make that tire any more as pirelli said it was a bit too sticky for use in SUVs. (at that time they were all buggered up over the "rollover" demos done by crazy drivers for consumer reports) Those tires allowed me to outcorner several higher performance cars. (stiffer shocks and sway bars help too) :)

HappyNewbeers! ^_^

Reply to
DougW

I've heard from several sources that the stock Wrangler GS-R tires are pure junk.

Well, I've had a new set of Wrangler SilentArmors for about 1500 miles now, and I love them. I haven't had them in deep mud or sand yet, but in dry, wet, snow (compact or deep), slush, and even some ice they have been amazing so far. They live up to their name, too: Eerily quiet (especially compared to my old Wildcat EXT), and heavily armored (with a layer of kevlar).

Good reviews on TireRack as well, although it looks like the Scorpions are currently number one there:

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's kinda fun to have a Wrangler sporting Wrangler tires. :)

-- ~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S 2.5 { }|||||||{ } "MukYJ"

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Called up my buddy he says the make of Scorpions ST. I can't seem to find much info on them. Not certain if they make them anymore.

I'm gonna "try" and stay up till midnight. LOL. Take care and Happy new year.

Reply to
ULB