Tires and Wheels - 95 Cherokee

Hi all -

I am in need of new wheels and tires for my 95 Cherokee, stock suspension. I have googled and searched and I thought I understood I could go to a max height of 30". We've been running

235/75r15 and unhappy with wet and snow traction ever since we went up from the 225s.

I had picked a lovely to my eyes (although expensive) set of wheels from 4wd.com, which does not come in a 15" size, nor less than 8" width.

PRO COMP 7023 CAST BLAST WHEEL Pro Comp Series

7023 Cast Blast® 5 Spoke Street Lock? Wheel, (16"x8" rim)(5x4-1/2" BP)(4" Back Space)

And I was planning to put BFG AT on them in

225/75r16 size, which I though translated to acceptable height (29.3) and narrower width (8.9 vs current 9.3).

And I was happy with the thought that my poor Cherokee would have pretty wheels, better traction, and jeepier tires (currently Dunlops - ycch!)

However, the nice lady at 4wd says no-go. The max tire I can put on a 16 in wheel is 225/70, (28.4 high, 8.9 wide). I am fine with that, but they don't have that size in the BFG. Tirerack has them, but says they can only be put on 6-7" wide rims, the ones I want are 8". Tirerack also implies BFG AT are baaad because they only have a speed rating of R and you have to get at least S.

Help! Can I/should I continue on my planned course of action and use these wheels and tires? Which size combination? Ignore the speed rating and rim width issue? waaaaah...

TIA Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl

Jeep furnished some really attractive stock wheels on the later model Wranglers and they will fit your Cherokee. I am running a set of

15x8 5spoke aluminum from a 2000 Wrangler on my 95 Cherokee. I put GoodYear 30x9.50 tires on them and they work well. I have noticed that with 4 heavy passengers and a load of "crap" in the back that the rear will touch the rubber inner fender splash shield when you hit a big dip.

Unless you enjoy spending un-necessary money, don't waste it buying "geeky" 16 or 17 wheels.

Bruce

Reply to
Highcountry

Our 93 Cherokee is stock we run American Racing Wheels (Wagon Wheel Black)

15x8 rims with 31x10-15 and it did fine I never had any problems with them rubbing anywere.

Reply to
abomb69

My Correction, my rims are American Racing AR-767 Series 15x8

Reply to
abomb69

We also were very disappointed with the loss in snow traction when we went up from a P225 to a P235.

I think you should shop around more for the right sized rim that will fit the right tire or the P225/75 BFG AT's.

Are your rims currently bad or just ugly?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N> Hi all -
Reply to
Mike Romain

Even old steel wheels clean up real nice and look good with paint.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Talking to myself here to answer everyone at once...

Oddly enough, the money is not too much of an issue right now. Fixing up my Cherokee is "instead of" getting the newer Expedition or Mountaineer my husband wanted to get me. I can do a lot of shopping for that price.

The current rims (stock - 15x7?) are OK, just ugly and rusty. My son tried to clean the rust off a couple of years ago with the wrong cleaner and took the finish off, and they are in bad cosmetic shape. Since I can, I thought I'd get new ones...

The current tires definitely need replacing - two have slow leaks (about 5 lbs a week), and the tread is wearing down... Plus they were the wrong size, and we get lousy traction. It's embarrassing to be driving a Jeep (even a Cherokee) and slip so much in just rain, never mind snow and ice...

I really love those new wheels' appearance - just not sure what size tires I can put on them, and if the combination will work, without a lift - I'd just as soon stay with the stock suspension, since she doesn't go off road much, and then only for camping (dirt roads and fields, etc.) And those wheels don't come in a 15 in size. If anyone can recommend a 15" not-shiny black or dark grey wheel, I'd be happy to stick with that.

(I know, I should be more concerned with other things, but I like them!)

Thanks again, Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl

We bought a set of Peerless Force 4 235/75-15's and ours does better in the snow than the 31's did.

Reply to
abomb69

I think 205's to 225's are likely the best footprint for the weight of a Cherokee which funny enough is the size on the sticker on our glove box.

When you get larger you sacrifice traction for flotation. Flotation has very little use on the road....

Mike

abomb69 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Also if you think about it, wider tire means less pounds per pnch on the road because the surface of the tire is larger, so that means with a narrower tire it should get better traction.

Reply to
abomb69

Look for late model cherokee or wrangler "Grizzly" wheels in your area. Can usually be had for cheap and are very nice looking OEM wheels. Check out craigslist in your area.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Have the tires removed from the rims at a shop. take the rims home and wire wheel them until all the rust is gone, then prime them with a good quality primer, epoxy primmer is great but expensive, then get your favorite color of spray paint and repaint them or have a body shop do part or all the job. then get tires remounted or new tires installed. I have done this with two sets of cherokee rims, one set (of 3 plus the compact spare) went with the old jeep and the second set are on the wife's ZJ right now with the Nokia

225/70/15 snow tires (with the factory gold lace rim as the spare). In the summer the ZJ gets four new 225/75/15 tires on it. (with the 4th cherokee factory rim as the spare).

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

I am partial to the TJ Canyon or wheels. I put the ones that came with my TJ on my old cherokee and I really liked them.

I also like the Ravine wheels that came on later TJ's
As to the BFG AT's being "bad" for having an R speed rating, if you go more than 106mph in your Cherokee the tires will be the least of your problems. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I have the Canyon wheels on my YJ - I love 'em. I was thinking about moving them over to the XJ, but we'll see.

I h> I am partial to the TJ Canyon or wheels. I put the ones that came with my

Reply to
The Merg

Don't drive there in the Cherokee! ;-)

Reply to
nrs
[snip]

What exactly are you saying here, eh?

[snip]

noneofyourbusiness

You have a *stock* cherokee with THIRTY ONE inch tires, and they don't rub???

[snip]
Reply to
noneofyourbusiness

Thats right. It HAD 31's on it when I bought it from the dealer.

Reply to
abomb69

I put 31" tires on my old Cherokee and they rubbed a little at full turn and on the fenders at full stuff. Once the 3" lift was installed, no more rubbing.

I'm guessing the previous owner of yours probably adjusted the steering stops to eliminate the control arm rubbing.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

There could be a slight lift on this one, I dont know how to tell though. The 31's that were on here weren't in very good shape, The tread wear indicators were almost sticking out.

Reply to
abomb69