TJ 4.0L oil pressure rises real slow

Hi all,

I have a 2001 TJ with the 4.0L straight six engine. Runs great. It has

54500 miles on it. I noticed the last 5000 miles or so that the oil pressure builds up slower and slower when it is started cold. About every second time it starts, the little dash beeper to check the guages comes on because the oil pressure is not up yet. Once the pressure is up, it stays between 40-60 psi. Same place it has been since I bought the thing. It never drops. It just takes probably 10-15 seconds to build up, from a cold or cool start.

Anybody had this same experience and know if this is typical or what this might be?? I'm running Valvoline full synthetic 10W30. This last oil change I put a quart of that Marvelous Mystery oil treatment in it (Red bottle).

I would have thought if it was an oil delivery problem, like the pump or crank bearings, the pressure would be down from normal also, but it's not. Real weird.

Any advice would be great! Mike

Reply to
mike

Hi.

Check your cold start oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.

That should be okay. The mystery oil is a waste IMHO, you are using synthetic oil which doesn't need any treatment. Besides, you only have 54500 and that's not even broke in yet. I have 189500 on my YJ and it's not broke in yet. :-) Well maybe just broke in...

The mechanical guage will show the real pressure. It sounds like your oil pressure sensor is starting to go bad.

Reply to
Peter Parker