TJ electrical problem

1998 TJ SE, AX-5, 72700 miles, outside of warranty help for this problem.

I've been chasing an electrical problem for weeks now and am at a loss. Currently, the factory radio, cigar lighter, turn signals, wipers, 3 amp switched wire (behind glove box) are not functioning. I've since pulled my radio and speakers to trace continuity and look for relays. I've pulled and tested every fuse, behind glove box and the power distribution center.

I've used the service manual to perform testing on the accessory relay and accessory relay wiring and all tests have passed. I've also tested any other relay I've run across, all have passed. Have also pulled the turn signal/hazard switch and am testing now. When the multi-function switch is plugged in the hazards work, but the turn signals do not.

Before the above listed accessories stopped working completely, I could turn the key, ever so slightly, towards START and hear a buzzy sound and then everything would work again. This is what made me think a relay somewhere was in need of replacing.

I've read within this news group of possible ground wire disconnects, a clockspring replaced in the steering wheel and a few other things. Does any one have any suggestions as to what to check for next?

Thanks for listening.

Pulling what's left of my hair out, Scott R.

Reply to
Scott R.

I would be thinking about the fuse link wires, but I don't think you have enough things dead for that.

The fuse links either come off the starter solenoid or the main power center right at the end of the main positive battery cables.

The body needs a ground which is usually a mesh strap from the engine to the firewall or from the battery tot he fender.

Good luck...

Mike

"Scott R." wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I should have read that better the first time.

I agree with Bill, your ignition switch sounds bad. It can go out of adjustment down on the lower steering column, but it sounds more dead to me if everything else works.

Mike

"Scott R." wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Doh! Relays in the PDC. Will check those today and then look into the ignition switch adjustment or maybe even replacement.

Thanks, Bill.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net:

Reply to
Scott R

Looks like I got a trip to a local dealership parts department anyway, as the turn signal/hazard switch failed a few continuity tests. I understand from reading this newsgroup that there are known issues with these after getting rain soaked.

Thanks, Mike.

Mike Romain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

Reply to
Scott R

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks, Mike, Bill, and "mic canic".

Problem was the ignition switch, replaced with new unit last night and all is well again.

"Scott R." wrote in news:Xns9601AA6F7DB79srwebsearthling@216.77.188.18:

Reply to
Scott R

Thanks for the follow up. It is nice to know the results.

Mike

Scott R wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Did you have to replace keys too? Just curious!

Reply to
SteveBrady

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Didn't have to replace the keys, as Bill said, key on right, ignition switch on left side. You do have to remove the key cylinder as part of the ignition switch replacement process.

Section 8D, I believe, of the 1998 Wrangler Service Manual. Two electrical connections and one tamper proof tork screw is all that holds the ignition switch in place.

"SteveBrady" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

Reply to
Scott R