TJ Hardtop Roof Racks?

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a TJ with a hardtop, but have a bit of a problem. I need to be able to carry two Ocean Kayaks on top - with the top on. Does anybody make a roof rack for the TJ's hardtop and how much can it carry? If not, does anybody know of a hitch mount goal post type thing for the back with something that uses the windshield frame for the front or another goalpost setup for the front? Anybody got any pictures of how you do it?

Thanks for any help.

-Clappy

Reply to
Clap Trap

TJ hard tops have a hard enough time holding themselves up without adding weight. They tend to sink in the middle. I'm not sure I'd put much on top of them.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

The two kayaks together weigh around 120lbs so I expect to have to put some reinforcement on the inside. Maybe some aluminum channels or something. I could probably make a block that would fit between the top and the roll bar so that the fiberglass didn't actually carry any load. Hmm - maybe I'm onto something there...

Reply to
Clap Trap

You'd mentioned a hitch mount device, that could support the rear of the kayaks and the front could be supported by the windshield frame. It shouldn't take much to design something like that....

Reply to
XS11E

I would recommend something like this:

tw

Reply to
twaldron

I had a Kargo Master Safari rack on top of my 99 TJ. Mounts on the rear lights and on the front windshield frame. Very sturdy.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S