TJ lift - LCA's

My TJ has a ~3" 4WDH lift. Currently the rear OEM LCA's are used. When I first got the Jeep (lift already installed by PO), there was slight vibration (hard top on at this time). This past summer when I put the soft top and half doors on the vibration went away. Now that the weather is cold the hard top and vibration are back. So I am thinking the weight of the hard top changes the rear suspension causing the vibration. My answer is to put a set of adjustable LCA's on to compensate for the weight of the hard top. How do I adjust the new LCA's, longer, I think? How much longer/shorter? The instructions say adjust to 16.5" (the OEM's measure about 16"), but don't mention anything about the size/amount of lift.

Next question: the instructions say remove the lower shock mount, lower sway bar mount and coil spring? Why the spring?

Reply to
JimG

I'd think it's similar to when I put on my upper adjustable control arms... I put them on when the TJ was supported on the frame with jackstands, although I've been told it's possible to put them on while the jeep is still on the ground. I guessed what length they should have been, and was off a bit so I had to adjust them while it was on the ground.

If you have the sye kit and cv driveshaft then the pinion should be pointing at the output shaft of the transfer case, I was chasing down driveline vibes and when I finally did this it worked. Also someone (sorry can't remember who) in this group suggested a jack under the rear pumpkin to kinda push it up to where it needs to be. I had to have my brother help a little bit, cuz the angle of the differential would let the jack slide off. I cut a wedge of wood to help with that though.

I learned a bit about angles from here:

Hope this helps

Troy

Reply to