TJ rear disk brakes

Before winter I want to pull my rear wheels and check the brakes and lubricate the calipers. Are there any special tools I need?

Thanks!

Ken '03 TJ Sport

Reply to
Ken Knapp

I might add I mean special tools to remove the calipers. Don't really want to pull a wheel only to find out I have to put it back on to go buy some special socket.

Reply to
Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp did pass the time by typing:

No real special tools, the caliper should just unbolt and slide off. Just don't hang it by the hoses, use a wire hanger to support it.

Rear discs have a hat and inside shoes for the emergency brake so if you have the e-brake set while working you probably won't be able to remove the disc. :)

Apart from that it's fairly easy. IF your going to replace pads you will want a large C clamp to push the piston back in. Use the old pad and don't push directly on the piston cup.

Standard warning: keep greese off the pad face and disc and wipe, don't blow the dust out. BrakeKleen is a good all purpose degreaser.

Reply to
DougW

Use a liberal (excessive) amount of brake cleaner and make sure you are using top-of-the-line not OEM brake pads.

I am quite (and quietly) pleased with my Wagner Thermo-Quiet pads. They come from the factory with the shims already affixed to prevent disc squeal and vibration

Billy Ray