TJ remote starting

I know there are a few car stereo/electronics gurus in here-does anyone have an opinion about the cheapo BOA brand remote starter kits I see at Target for $50? Sure would be nice to get the heater/AC started before I head out in the morning. Would a 4.0L TJ need any adapters for something like this? How hard is it to set up?I don't have anything electric in the vehicle like an alarm or doorlocks (just Panasonic stereo and KC daylighters). Thanks in advance!

Matt

Reply to
mhammer8

I don't know anything about the brand you speak of... but those things are a nightmare to put in (un-less you have done several). Hence, my recommendation... have it installed at one of the trick shops (that's where the "car stereo/electronics gurus" work).

Reply to
JimG

before

Save your money. Do a google search on "car starters bad installation". Also make sure the person who installs it will cover there work and all defects/damages that it will cause to the Jeep ( chances are they will not). Do not forget the person installing it is not a qualified mechanic and if they decide to put the wire too close to the computer or splice into the wiring harness it could cause a problem. Then when you try to fix it at the dealer your Gold Plan just went down the toilet.

Reply to
snowboardripper

snipped-for-privacy@nospamyahoo.com did pass the time by typing:

Not recommended.

The better remote starters will have a few options (actually some are built into alarm systems)

Also you want to be very careful if you have a standard tranny, most places will not do an install because of the chance it's left in gear.

Key ones [ ] Hood kill switch [ ] brake kill switch (to prevent putting it in drive) [ ] engine overheat sensor (and timer)

optional [ ] battery tender (for outside use only, will start engine if the battery starts to get too low) [ ] long distance remote with feedback (1-2 miles on some units)

I use one made by Clifford, but other vendors are equally good.

You may be fine, but be very careful and make certain you have the correct wires. Some vehicles (those with passkey or similar keyfob alarms will require a bypass module)

My suggestion is unless your very comfortable doing this type of mod, pay someone to do the work and take the liability if they damage your vehicle.

Reply to
DougW

An easy trick Avoid the Cheap one, ( My point of view is always avoid cheap stuff anyway ) I got one installed with an alarm and cost 350 $ CAN 2 year ago.

Never had a single problem.realsitic range is about 150-200 feet if you see the vehicules ( Fail to start once at -42 C with windchill. Had to key start since the Remote starter disable starting after a few engine rotation )

dont pay more for the remote,I have the black standard one and it only need a cleaning of the board once over the time and 1 battery ( im using it winter for Heating and summer for AC)

Also note that i only have the remote start and alarm options on the remote since the Door opening need another module and advanced installation on my 96 GC

Im still using the OEM remote for the doors.

I think the other module was to bypass the OEM alarm in the GC.. not sure however...

Mine is made by Autostart. Bought and installed at a friend shop

"DougW" a écrit dans le message de news: uFDHd.34$PB.19@okepread01...

Reply to
Patrick

Thanks a lot, all you guys! I never thought about a lot of these issues. I have the automatic and essentially no options (no electric remote locks or anything), so I thought the DIY kit would be a good choice since my warranty is over with anyway. It got fairly good reviews at AMazon from people who didn't know much about cars, so I thought I'd ask here. Guess I'll do the smart thing and spend a little extra. Thanks again!

Matt

Patrick wrote:

anything

Reply to