TJ Scrambler project - comments wanted

Here's a project I'm thinking about doing: since the Wrangler Unlimited has basically the same wheelbase as the old Scrambler, take an Unlimited, stretch the bed behind the rear wheels about 11" to make it the same length as a Scrambler.

I think lengthening the bed can be done with some replacement CJ-8 rear quarter panels, lengthening the bed floor (not sure what with yet), lengthening frame rails, tailpipe and taillight wiring.

I would use an Alaskan Postal World Cab steel hardtop and rear swinging door (I happen to have one sitting in my garage). The hardtop roof over the doors would need to be shortened about 1-2" as necessary at the first roof joint to accommodate the higher rake angle of the TJ windshield. This shouldn't be too hard, since the top can be disassembled. I would add side windows to the hardtop like the Australian Overlander hardtop - the Alaskan Postal doesn't have side windows. Probably can get windows made to fit the stamped window opening in the inside steel panel of the hardtop from an RV supplier. Also, since the World Cab hardtop had doors with square upper corners rather than the TJ door's round corners, a small gusset would also have to be fabricated to fill the corner so the door would seal properly.

I've drawn a mock-up:

What do you think? Can you think of any complications I haven't thought of?

Of course, I have to wait until Jeep builds an Unlimited with a 5-speed - don't want no stinkin' automatic :-). Anyone heard any word on 5-speeds in the Unlimited?

Reply to
Jeff Scherb

I was just looking one of these over at my local Jeep dealer today. It's a very intersting vehicle, that COULD look superb with a proper lift and 35"+ tires. But, as it was I thought it looked like $#!t!

It looks like something they got half way through, and then some beancounters or marketing dumbasses made them change it based upon some idiotic focus group input. Their concept SHOULD have been the "Brute" pickup, instead, I'm not sure WTF that thing is. All that being said, the ones we saw at Moab that had been lifted and fitted with proper tires did indeed look very cool.

Reply to
Jerry McG

I have to agree....these new models ahve that 'forced' modern look! that includes the Jeep prototype thing at Detroit (the rescue jeep or the humper (hummer/jeep!).

The AEV, other than a scrambler, is an awesome lookin rig! I would've gotten either without hesitating if available.

Reply to
SB

Reply to
twaldron

Yes, the hardtop will fit, with the fairly small modification noted in my original post. I've checked it for fit on my 2000 TJ - the sides and rear are fine, the top of the windshield will work also. Just needs to be shortened a bit at the first joint in the roof. Of course on a stock TJ it hangs off the rear an extra 23" :-)

Reply to
Jeff Scherb

I'd have to see it to believe it, but I'd love to see it, so do it! :)

Jeff Scherb wrote:

Reply to
twaldron