TJ Steering Stabilizer Replacement

I'm in the process of replacing the OEM steering damper on my '98 TJ with a Skyjacker OEM steering stabilizer. It's been a challenge, but I got the bolt/nut off the end of the OEM stabilizer nearest the wheel. It took a propane torch to heat up the nut on the tie rod end to get it off. Problem now is I can't get the bolt end of the old damper out of the tie rod. I've hammered on it. Used WD-40, Liquid Wrench, and the torch and it doesn't budge. This isn't threaded is it? It should just pop out, right?

Thanks.

Mark '98 TJ '98 XJ

Reply to
M. E. Bye

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I'm in the process of replacing the OEM steering damper on my '98 TJ with a Skyjacker OEM steering stabilizer. It's been a challenge, but I got the bolt/nut off the end of the OEM stabilizer nearest the wheel. It took a propane torch to heat up the nut on the tie rod end to get it off. Problem now is I can't get the bolt end of the old damper out of the tie rod. I've hammered on it. Used WD-40, Liquid Wrench, and the torch and it doesn't budge. This isn't threaded is it? It should just pop out, right?

Thanks.

Mark '98 TJ '98 XJ

Reply to
M. E. Bye

That bolt isn't meant to come out of the old stabilizer and if you even got it out, it wouldn't fit properly in the new stabilizer. You need a new tapered bolt and Skyjacker sells only a "generic" kit that doesn't include it. Rancho is one company that does make a kit specifically made for the TJ. Since it was late at night when I discovered that with my Black Diamond stabilizer, I ended up finding the right size nut and bolt in my garage.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

What kind of puller and where do I get one?

Thanks!

Mark

Reply to
M. E. Bye

Jerry... I'm trying to get the OEM bolt loose from the tie rod (not trying to get it out of the old stabilizer). My Skyjacker kit did, in fact, come with a tapered bolt. Skyjacker #7009 is an OEM replacement kit specifically for the TJ. Thanks.

Mark

Reply to
M. E. Bye

Oh, gotcha. I had the same problem getting mine out too. I ended up taking it over to the dealer where a friend worked who got it out for me. I thought he'd use some great kind of puller like a Pitman arm puller but he just used a bigger BFH than I did. I few full-swing whacks with his "bigger BFH" did the trick. When that bolt finally came loose, it ricocheted off two of the shop's steel walls, leaving a big dented gouge in one of them! :eek:

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
twaldron

Holy Sh*t!

Mark

Reply to
M. E. Bye

Thanks! I guess my mission for the day will now be to hunt one of these down.

Mark

Reply to
M. E. Bye

Yup. The BFH tool did the trick. New one is installed, gave her a grease job while I was underneath, and a test drive reveals that it was $50 well spent.

Thanks!

Mark '98 TJ '98 XJ

Reply to
M. E. Bye

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

why not use a pickle fork? Tony Viv

Reply to
Rokihora

LOL!

You have never tried to remove one eh?

Mike

Rokihora wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

aka 'pickle fork'? They're indeed handy for wedging into the ball joint and popping them apart.

Reply to
wkearney99

No, not the fork, a smaller version of this:

wkearney99 wrote:

Reply to
twaldron