TJ Transmission Leak

Hello Everyone:

About 3 weeks ago, I took my Jeep in and had the tranny replaced. Two weeks ago, I noticed some fluid around the pan bolts towards the rear and I took it back in so they could fix the leak. After I picked the Jeep up from the shop the 2nd time, I looked under it and still saw fluid around the bolts, at which point I pointed it out but he told me "it's not leaking." I called up today because the fluid is still there, and they asked me if it was dripping (which it isn't) so they told me its probably just the fluid leaking thru the bolts, which is normal. This sounds like complete BS to me! On my old transmission there was never any moisture of any sort under the pan. I could change the pan seal in 1 hour if I wanted to, but this is warranty work we're talking about here. He told me if it gets worse bring it in again and he'll look it over. Did he BS me?

Mike

Reply to
97tjMike

Wipe it all dry with paper towel and cleaner. That way you can find exactly where the leak is. I'm betting they cranked on the bolts and warped the pan.

Fluid leaks through bolts the same way a DC-10 leaks through a runway.

Reply to
DougW

then, when the "Moisture" reappears, loosen the bolts, stab it with a screwdriver, then take it in and demand a new gasket. the gasket should be going around the bolt, so if there is fluid, there is a leak

97tjMike wrote:
Reply to
RSMuddog via CarKB.com

Good advice!

Pull a fraud job to get a fix....

If I saw a gasket leak come back on a Job looking like that, I would tell you to see me in court and toss your sorry ass out the door after I took a couple photos.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - G> then, when the "Moisture" reappears, loosen the bolts, stab it with a
Reply to
Mike Romain

As you know, it should be dry.

I would wipe it clean, then drive through a mud puddle. When the dirty water dries, any leaks will be immediately evident for the next inspection.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

great idea Mike. I think I'm just gonna clean it up really good and wait a few days. If it comes back, I'm taking it in. I dont see why the guy asked me if it was dripping. I mean, if there's a leak, there has to be drips. Just because they're slow and I dont see them doesnt mean they're not there.

Reply to
97tjMike

These clowns have their own standards for when stuff needs fixed or not. According to the manufacturer, Consumer's Reports, product liability laws and the like a "leak" is any fluid on the outside of something, that is supposed to be on the inside. You didn't say whether your replacement transmission was factory new, rebuilt or locally repaired. You wouldn't have this sort of problem with a factory authorized unit, and if you did they would just send the dealer another one to install.

Saludos cordiales,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton