TJ: water leak at TJ tailgate glass (hardtop)

Hi I have a '97 TJ. When it rains I get a lot of water collecting inside the trunk. The leak is between the seal and the tailgate window at the top. I have put silicone dressing on the rubber but that did not help. Any suggestions?

I can't find any source to buy this weatherstripping for a TJ. Anyone have a link?

Thanks Jimmy

Reply to
jocoman

When that happens to my CJ7, it means I don't have the roof on square. There is a fair amount of wiggle room when installing the hardtop and lining up the back corners is a big part of it.

Other than that I would just add some sticky backed foam weatherstripping to seal it.

Mike

Mike Romain

If it IS the weatherstrip gone bad, why not go to the dealership and buy an OEM rubber seal?

Makes sense to me.

Kate

2O|||||||O6 Rubicon
Reply to
Kate

Drill an eighth inch hole to let the water out. Put a dab of the wife's nail polish on it stop rust from starting. God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Cost $138.00!

Reply to
jocoman

Cost $138.00!

I'm not trying to be a meanie here... BUT If you can't afford to do it right the first time, how will you ever be able to afford doing it over and over again?

If you buy second quality seals, you get second quality.

I do think Mike's suggestion was pretty solid though, did you check the alignment of your top?

Kate 2O|||||||O6 Rubicon

Reply to
Kate

Is it leaking at the top of the glass or the top of the tailgate?

Mike

Mike Romain

I've seen streaks that look to be inside the glass on mine, so I think I've got, to some degree, a similar problem. I attributed mine to the "T"-bar garage hanger.

I never find the bed wet (insert your own joke here) when I check, but I see streaks that the wiper doesn't clear away. I make sure I pull the seal back toward the glass when I put it on in the fall.

Reply to
dvitous