TJ Wiper Motor

I think my '98TJ is starting to show it's age - after almost 300,000km that's not too surprising though.

My current problem is with the windshield wipers. A couple of days ago, I noticed that the high speed was the same as the regular speed. Yesterday, they barely started working, but eventually ran, albeit slowly. So I took the cover off the assembly and lubricated everything that moves with silicone lube. The intermittant and low speed now work fine, but when the wiper is set on "high", the sound of the wiper motor changes and adds a slight grinding sound, but the speed doesn't increase.

Am I looking at a new wiper motor here?

Thanks

Andrew Butchart snipped-for-privacy@floatingbear.ca

Reply to
Andrew Butchart

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

My '01 does the same thing on cold (50 degs here in SoCal) mornings. Goes away when the engine compartment warms up. Dealer said they'd keep it overnight to look at it cold in the morning. I told them I need to clear my stealables out if they were going to leave it outside overnight, and they said "Oh no, soft tops go inside (the nice, warm repair bay) overnight."

Needless to say, they've never been able to duplicate the problem...

Reply to
Greg Allen

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks Bill - I'll give that a try this weekend.

APB

Reply to
Andrew Butchart

I've seen low 40's in my short time here by the beach. I seem to recall it got into the high 30's a couple times in the past two years.

Nothing like MN weather, but cold enough...

Reply to
Greg Allen

Well - I took the switch assembly off and apart and couldn't figure out how to disconnect a specific wire (or which wire). The connectors are all moulded plastic and I was reluctant to start cutting wires. The switch assembly itself looked fine with no sign of a crossed connection or short.

Looks like something I'll have to save for my next trip to the dealer ...

APB snipped-for-privacy@floatingbear.ca

Reply to
Andrew Butchart

Reply to