TJ won't start w/viper alarm

I have a 98 Jeep TJ Sport in which I had a Viper 300 ESP (+ field sensor 508d) installed a couple of years ago. Everything was working fine up until a couple of weeks ago when I was unable to start the jeep after trying to deactivate the alarm. No combinations of buttons on the alarm/valet switch appeared to work. Eventually it worked, but I had to disconnect the battery and wait about 10 minutes.

I'm in a similar situation now where the jeep won't start but the battery disconnect isn't working. When I put the key in the ignition and turn to ON, the dash lights come on. When I turn to START, nothing happens. Any further attempts to turn the key to ON result in no dash lights at all. I have to disconnect the battery again, wait, and then the dash lights will turn on. I still can't get it started.

I've gone under the dash and unplugged everything that went into the alarm, all it is doing now is hanging on to some taped wires. Nothing is connected to it. This didn't seem to do the trick either, although I didn't wait much time after I unplugged before I tried to start. (The Jeep is stuck in a mall parking lot and I have to get a ride out there).

Is there anything else I can do here to get it started?

Thanks

Reply to
Sean

Sean did pass the time by typing:

It won't start when unpluged as the ignition wires run through the viper unit. What good would it be if a thief just had to unplug the unit?

Don't know how they wired your unit so there is little I can suggest apart from contacting the place that did the install. It could be a blown fuse in the viper (check the power runs for in-line fuses or the case for a fuse symbol).

Long story short, you need to get back in touch with the installer or find the installation instructions and reverse the install.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks for the replies.

I got it figured out. Plugging the control unit out was a recommendation from the shop, one that didn't pan out. It took well over 30 minutes to get to the unit and unclip ALL the zip ties that made it impossible to plug even one of the wires from the unit. If you ever want a quality job done on installation in the Boston area, check out Parkway Sound in Everett. I can't speak of the actuall alarm (Viper 300 ESP) but those guys tied up every single thing they could have.

I went to the directed website and downloaded the installation manual. It looked like I had two problems: getting power to the jeep and then starting it. I was only ever able to get power from the battery by unplugging both the ground and the power cable and letting the jeep sit for 10 minutes. The battery was just fine, a clean 12-13 volts.

With power solved I just had to get the ignition to power the starter. Based on the manual I saw that there was a starter-kill relay attached to the alarm control unit. I checked out the ignition line on the jeep and saw that it was split with a green and black line going into the relay. I tried the short the green and black together with no luck so I just pulled them both out and rejoined the jeep ignition line. The jeep started right up.

Reply to
Sean

Tha's one way to fix it, but now your started kill isn't working so someone could break in and drive away with the alarm going off. I'd have the relay replaced asap.

Paul Vina

Reply to
Paul Vina

Reply to
mic canic

But of the realy is stuck open it won't matter of you put it in valet since the relay contact isn't moving. What he did was the only way to get it started again. He should get the relay replaced though. It should be covered by the shop's labor warranty.

Paul Vina

Reply to
Paul Vina