Torque Converter Clutch Problem.

Vehicle: 98 TJ Sport w/auto trans.

The torque converter is not locking up when it's supposed to (over 40 MPH). I have an error code (0740) which confirms it.

Is there a way to check the TCC solenoid without pulling the tranny pan?

Reply to
MaryJo Kopechne

Not really, without a scan tool. If you do have a scan tool, you can command it on and off and listen for a click at the pan.

You will likely end up at a dealer or a trans shop to get it fixed. I recommend dealer. Trans shop is going to sell you an overhaul. Dealer is more likely to just find and fix the problem, if possible.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Thanks for the reply Jerry.

I studied the service manual last night and I think I can test it by disconnecting the TCC plug on the tranny and applying 12V+ to the socket.

Reply to
Al B. Back