Towing a Jayco 1406 Camper with a YJ 4.0L

It's that time of the year when we pull out our campers and get them ready for some spring camping. I've been pulling my camper with a Ford F-250 and have had no problems. I have recently sold the Ford and plan to use my Jeep Wrangler as the tow vehicle. For those who are not familiar with the Jayco 1406 series camper, its 14ft in length closed and is pretty heavy. Does anyone have any experience towing this type of camper with a smaller vehicle like the Jeep Wrangler? Or experience pulling any camper with a Wrangler?

Happy Jeeping,

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Whats the weight on the camper? CJ, YJ, and TJ cannot tow more than

2,000lbs, and that's pushing it.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Only 2000lbs, that's a shame. I'm sure my camper is over 2000lbs. I'm going to the Jayco dealer tomorrow and picking up the owners manual so I know what the camper weight is before I try towing with the Jeep.

Thanks!

Reply to
Dwayne

The engine, transmission and axles are OK to tow more than 2,000lbs. The problem is the short wheelbase. Any kind of turn at speed is likely to cause a jacknife.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

I really wouldn't recommend it. My YJ (4.2L) pulls my empty utility trailer fine, but when the trailer starts getting full... close to or above a ton it starts slowing down. A lot.

Try hooking up your camper and just taking it around the block at home. See how it handles and determine whether you think it'd be alright on the highway. My vote is: No.

Reply to
Micah

It's not only unsafe, it's illegal. That means in the event of a collision, you could be determined to be at fault, even if it wasn't your fault. You run a substantial legal risk, plus the potential for your insurance to deny part or all of your claim.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

depends whether it's a comparative or contributory negligence state. regardless. rent a truck.

Reply to
Micah

BAD IDEA. The wheelbase on the YJ is too short to tow a camper like that safely.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Or buy back his F250.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I want to thank everyone for your comments and suggestions on this topic. I guess it's time up update my old Jeep and use this as an excess to buy a 2007 unlimited. Well I can always dream about owning one!

Thanks again!

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne