Towing w/ Grand Cherokee SRT8

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying an SRT8, but I need to tow from time to time and I'm troubled by its relatively low (3500 lb) towing capacity. I'm trying to understand why this model should have lower towing ability than the other Grand Cherokees. It seems to be that the larger engine, heavy duty brakes, all wheel drive, and lower (less-tippy) height should all make this model be able to tow MORE, not LESS.

I need to tow about 4500-5500 lbs. Anyone guru enough to know if there's an aftermarket mod (extra transmission cooler, etc.) that I could slap on this model to enable it to tow what I need? I only tow once a year or so and would sure enjoy driving this the rest of the time if I could figure out a way to make it work.

Reply to
spam_box

Too much power, too little drivetrain. Lots of these "performance" things use transmissions and diffs that are just strong enough to handle the motor. A prime example of this is the POS GMC Typhoon that 4Wheeler? made using a stock GMC for less that could actually tow something. The Typhoon had welded up holes were the tow hitch would go and a big shiny "DON'T USE FOR TOWING" sticker. Put a load behind them and they twist things.

Not likely without lots of upgrades.

Find a 4.9 if you want power and towing.

Truethfully, if your into towing often, you are better off with a full size truck or the larger Jeep Commander.

Reply to
DougW

The standard 2009 Grand with a Hemi has almost as much power as the SRT8 and genuine tow capacity. The SRT8 is designed to haul ass, not cargo.

Reply to
Lon

Lon & Doug are on the money on this one. Transmission & cooling capacity issues are sure to pop up as soon as you come across a little hill and put your foot in it to get over the hill at a decent speed while towing anything over a ton. Horsepower = speed & heat, and towing multiplies the problem.

Glen

Reply to
Glenn news

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

I truly had no idea you were capable of such fine work, Hughes.

No wonder you are known as such an ex-spurt.

Reply to
Throntum Mechanic