tracking down clicking noise

Troy did pass the time by typing:

listen while turning. If the ticking speeds up it's in the cv joint on the outside axle. If it stays the same it's elsewhere.

Reply to
DougW
01 TJ w/cv driveshaft, 4 inch lift.

Whenever I'm moving, i hear a clicking noise from either the output shaft of the transfer case or the cv joint connected to it... I can tell when I went into a field and drove it while hanging out sideways and looking under the jeep while moving.

It slows and speeds up proportinate to driveshaft speed, so I know its there somewhere.

Never messed with ujoints before, but I've read that if they aren't greased and start to make the clicking noise maybe the roller bearings inside are rusted/missing/damaged? I'm gonna probably take them off and check them out when i get time, but I was also wondering...

Does the transfer case output shaft ride on any bearings also? I'm assuming it does, but could it be making this clicking noise? I suppose once I check out the ujoints I would know, but I dont wanna mess with the transfer case.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Oops, forgot to mention, it's the rear driveshaft... I adjusted the pinion angle to get rid of vibes but I think I did it too late and now either the cv joint on my driveshaft or the output transfer case bearings are gone, I just dont know if the output shaft bearings (if there are any) would be making that noise.

I went out and looked again, these ujoints have a fitting for greasing them, so I did grease them up until they were full and the clicking noise is still in the area, would'nt the joint full of grease at least muffle the clicking if not temporarily eliminate it?

Troy

Reply to
Troy

No. Grease can't stop play in a bad bearing. In fact, if it were that stiff, it couldn't even be used as a lubricant. If the joints were squealing or squeaking, it would quiet that. And the heavy odds are it's the one of the joints. And, if they were dry, the other one is also damaged.

Dan

Reply to
Hootowl