Trail(er) trash

The "respect" for nature shown by offroad enthusiasts is documented by all the cans, bottles and wrappers they toss on scenic trails. The Rubicon near Lake Tahoe shows how these anthropocentric mouth-breathers view the land. They can't be bothered carrying a trash bag and packing it out. No room in the Jeep or some other excuse.

People with a conquer-nature mentality have little respect for its sanctity. The show stealer is their fancy machinery, not the land. Nature is just another place to make noise and whoop it up. It's hard to prove, but the number of offroad litterers is probably at least 25%. It goes beyond a few rotten apples making the rest look bad.

It's very simple: people who bash environmentalism don't respect the environment that much. They talk of "extremism" but effective protection will always seem extreme to those who want land UNprotected. Environmental problems are people problems and more people create more impact. Population can't continue without stealing more land. That's the crux of all these conflicts. It's not about shadowy entities trying to block your rights, it's more people fighting over less acreage.

In the lower 48 states, there's no real frontier left. We don't need more machines, noise and trail(er) trash invading the last wild, quiet places. Be happy with all the trails you've got. If you find those trails overcrowded, blame human overbreeding, not environmentalism.

R. Lander

Reply to
R. Lander

It was on Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:28:17 -0700, another Dirty Dusty Delta day, when R. Lander coughed up:

Thanks for your excellent post; sadly, few here are going to accept it, regardless, and will argue facts with attitude and opinion.

Please keep it up until the flames overcome you.

If just /one/ person learns from your factual statements, you've succeeded.

SW resident persona non grata ```````````````````````````````````

Reply to
bubonic

Actually this is a very well written troll.

Start with name-calling (anthropocentric mouth-breathers, conquer-nature mentality )

Make sure you've included everyone who doesn't agree with your narrow view (people who bash environmentalism don't respect the environment)

Divert any responsibility from yourself (If you find those trails overcrowded, blame human overbreeding, not environmentalism)

Return as a sock-puppet labeling one-sided opinion as fact (" argue facts with attitude and opinion")

And hide behind an anonymous name.

I give this troll five stars!!

Reply to
Steve Foley

Where the hell did you come from? It is SO easy to make so many generalizations when, in fact, you really don't have a clue about which you speak. Many of the folks here are the true environmentalists. Since you're a professed environmentalist, what specifically have YOU done to help the environment, other that come to a place like this and anonimously bitch about what we do? The best generalization you come up with is "people who bash environmentalism don't respect the environment that much." That is so illogical it's stupid. Someone may like a certain musician's music, but not the musician himself. Oh, and the made-up name "R. Lander" is just so typical of someone so far on the fringe that you have put yourself in the category of "Wacko" without anybody here having to fling that your way.

Reply to
Pete Stolz

R. Lander blathered:

Yaaaaaaawwwwwwnn.

Reply to
Keep YerSpam

It was on Thu, 01 Jun 2006 18:02:55 +0000, another Dirty Dusty Delta day, when Steve Foley coughed up:

Save 'em. Glue them to your forehead so the world will know how bright you think you are.

Troll, n.

Computer-related;

6b) Someone you disagree with
Reply to
bubonic

Ah, another pencil necked, pimple-faced, four eyed git hiding behind the safety of the internet, criticizing people he's afraid of.

Troll much?

Reply to
bizbee

Not a bad troll....

I am in the woods year round and see idiots in all manners of vehicles and modes of transportation. That doesn't mean all the people in the woods are idiots though...

The group I wheel with are from the rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys newsgroup and we actually clean the trails and have been part of organized clean ups in our local mud pit area. You should see the pits in the spring when the snowmobile trails have melted down! What a bunch of slobs! Are all snowmobilers slobs, no, but enough of them to really make a mess.... Now the same snowmobilers are getting on the trails in ATV's.... Jeepers use the trails year round in their Jeeps.

We always pack out more than we brought in and leave a clean camp. We also like to wander along the forestry/logging/mining roads to see what we find or where we end up. Usually to try and find a remote area to set up a base camp and we do bring canoes and dingies and things. We don't go trespassing on posted land nor do we tear up new trails or fields. We have avoided winter trails when asked by the loggers so the road would set up or freeze smooth for their big rigs. We always make a point of talking to the folks working in the bush so we can stay out of their way.

Unfortunately I see far too many of the slob types you are referring to in the woods... All we can do is try to educate them. Their parents were likely slobs too...

I have been accused of being elitest because I don't want to make all the trails I know public domain with internet directions even, but man the moron factor has been getting pretty bad out there lately....

I like taking out groups of new and/or young Jeep owners to show them what their Jeep can do without either destroying their Jeep or the environment. We lead by example eh. Our son, now 22 and his friends turned out as responsible adults.

Mike

Mike Romain

What utter bullshit !!! What makes you think any one group is any more responsible for leaving trash on the trails ? Where I hike I see the same trash on the trails and these are hiking trails only. It's not unusual to hike in 6-8 miles and find beer bottles and cans, candy wrappers, plastic bottles, empty propane cylinders and anything else you can imagine. I just can't figure out how someone can manage to hike in with a case of beer but can't carry the empties out. Some people are just slobs, the method of transportation does not matter. It is a few bad apples that ruin things for everyone else.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Not a good one, too many stereotypes, too long, and no "citations of evidence". I give it a 3.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

You know, I used to think I knew a lot about people who enjoy motorized outdoor activities...just like you know a lot about 'em. Then I actually met a few...

Reply to
Mary Malmros

Just gotta love a good cross-posting troll!

The thing we need to take away from this is that the "R. Lander's" of the world already have their minds made up. We need to ignore them and concentrate on educating Joe Public of responsible off-road use and the positive things that organized OHV groups do.

Sadly, we do have losers among us, but we can't let the actions of a few ruin it for the rest of us.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4 Blue Ribbon Coalition member
United Four Wheel Drive Associations member
.....and multiple snowmobile organizations.....

Reply to
Matt Mead

I love hypocritical egregious extremist people, they often have a narrow view. This is evident in lumping one particular group of people into a single category and all of them being offenders and not caring what ever the cause may be also, always touting the sky is falling.

There is the 80/20 rule which has been proven and measured. 80% of the people are good and do the right thing 20% of the people are dirt bags.

Maybe you should target the 20% and include yourself in the 20% for your narrow minded lumping of all people in a particular group.

I always laugh at the extremist what ever the cause it is better than the Last Comic show TV and it is free entertainment.

Coasty Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Will the son of a bitch who managed to drive their Jeep up Everest and leave behind all manner of shit, please stand up.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

"Stupendous Man", is this your boyfriend??? "Stupendous Man" is listed as a pal of this 'guy'.

Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer

Mt Everest trash collection:

billy ray

You think that as many as 20% are the troublemakers?

Reply to
billy ray

Good point, but mountain climbers aren't exactly environmentalists either. They seem to be more in it for the challenge of "beating" nature, like Jeepers crawling over rocks. They use specialized equipment but not gasoline. Many slopes have been desecrated with permanent climbing hooks and notches carved into the rock. Dead bodies are among the trash left behind on high peaks!. People who can't enjoy nature as-is are always trying to open more of it to their favorite sports. Recreational obsession triumphs over a weak land ethic.

I don't accept the whole idea that "wilderness" can remain viable when so many elements of the city are brought in. Multiple use concepts go too far. There are adequate places for motorsports and extreme sports already. People pursuing those activities should blame overpopulation if they don't like crowds. They can't keep expanding into wild places or there won't be any left. Many national parks are already tainted by too many visitors, even if they park their cars and hike.

R. Lander

Reply to
R. Lander

R.,

Do you drive a car or live in a house heated or cooled by fossil fuels?

Reply to
billy ray