Tranny lines

Heres the deal, I broke a transmission line ( among other things ) on a run last weekend. Needless to say, almost all of the fluid got pumped out. What I would like to know is, which line is the return line going into the radiator, drivers side or passenger? I asked the stealership parts guy, of course he just sells the parts and didnt know which is OK, I ask the service writer, he didnt know but went to ask one of the mechanics. The mechanic DID'NT KNOW!!!! Glad I just went there to get the lines and not a service. The reason I ask is that when I replace the lines, I want to add a external cooler. It is an 06 TJ, 4.0 4spd AOD( 42RFE????) tranny lines are on the bottom of the radiator tank. Hope someone can help as I dont want to start it up and put it in gear to see which where the fluid comes from. Thanks in advance. Gary

Reply to
Gary

That's exactly what I did once when installing a tranny cooler, but you don't have to put it in gear, just let it idle.

If you have someone help who will turn off the engine when you holler at them, you won't lose much fluid, a 1 lb coffee can will catch it.

Reply to
XS11E

I definitely recommend the helper. I did that once installing a cooler on a minivan and was astounded at how much oil blew out in a few seconds, before I could get around to where I could see it.

Reply to
Dale Beckett

Two coffee cans and rubber hose strategically placed. Start it up, turn it off. One can will have fluid in it. The other will not. I am sure you can find a picture somewhere with the hoses identified, but this will be quicker.

Reply to
Earle Horton

Don't forget a toss-away turkey pan to catch the fluid that pumps out!

Oh, you didn't forget the pan! Good...

Warning: do not use your wife/gf to turn off the engine. It won't work, you'll be paying for it for weeks or months, and the total cost will be about the same if you put in a new transmission.

Reply to
PeterD

"PeterD" wrote

Warning: do not use your wife/gf to turn off the engine. It won't work, you'll be paying for it for weeks or months, and the total cost will be about the same if you put in a new transmission.

-----

Hey hey HEY! Here now.. cut that out! ;¬D

Reply to
Kate

Remember working on something electrical once... It managed to get plugged in while I was working on it. Big bang, and I find I'm holding two live wires, one in each hand, with the plug on the other side of the wall...

I yelled: "Pull the plug, pull the damned plug."

Eventually she did, but it cost me big time! (true story...)

Reply to
PeterD

Look, it doesn't matter... The cooler is nothing more than a "goes inta, goes outta" set of tubes with no valves or pumps to restrict or redirect the flow. It's going to cool the transmission fluid no matter which way it's hooked up.

It doesn't make a difference.

Paul

Reply to
PM

OP said something about an auxiliary. He has a plan to put it ahead of or behind the cooler in the radiator, so it does make a difference to him.

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yup. Still need to know the out pipe, if you're gonna use the radiator cooler also. You're right. Missed the "add". If he's going to only use the aftermarket cooler, THEN it doesn't matter.

Paul

Reply to
PM

"PeterD" wrote Remember working on something electrical once... It managed to get plugged in while I was working on it. Big bang, and I find I'm holding two live wires, one in each hand, with the plug on the other side of the wall...

I yelled: "Pull the plug, pull the damned plug."

Eventually she did, but it cost me big time! (true story...)

---- YEEE-OUCH! I might fire her too :¬)

Reply to
Kate

Even worse, it was 240 volts, not 120!

Reply to
PeterD

It does if you want to hook up an external cooler in series (properly anyway)

Reply to
Gary

Ok, just to get it all figured out, in case someone else wants to know, the line comming out of the top of the tranny and goes to the pass. side of radiator is the return line. Thanks to all that replied. Gary

Reply to
Gary