Tranny swap

Hey guys, haven't been here in awhile [sold my Jeep again :( ]. Quick question ...how hard and expensive is it to swap an auto tranny to a 5spd in an '88 YJ? I'm assuming it's a big job (flywheel, bell-housing, holes in floor for clutch and pedal, new t-case, etc)? Anyone here done it? The Jeep is a good deal but I just don't want an auto ...maybe I'll keep waiting for the right one.

Reply to
griffin

I would guess you'll need a donor car with the same size engine, you'll need the driveshafts, for sure. and all those little parts that'll nickel and dime you to death. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I would change the fluid and filter, and live with the auto. That's one of the years of the crap transmissions mated to the six cylinder engine, isn't it? It would be a shame to replace an auto that worked, with a manual on the point of grenading.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton