Transfer case compatablitiy question - am I hosed?

Hi Folks,

My 2001 TJ Auto's transfer case died a cruel and noisy death. I went to Ebay and purchased an NP231 transfer case from a 2004 auto . I put it in, it leaked! I pulled it and put a paper gasket where it leaked (between the T-case and the transmission - and plugged the drain hole).

So now the good news; No leaks It shifts in and out of gears just great! Hurrah.

The Ugly news; The Speedometer is off by 10% (it's to low - so now I'm Speeder Boy - Great) The Odometer is off so the jeep trail books are less useful. Lucky I have a GPS.

The Bad news; There is some noise coming from the front end in 4 low, and it occurred to me. If my 2001 had a Dana 35 in the rear and a Dana 30 in the front and the 2004 had a different setup could I be toasting my drive train?

Reply to
TJBoy

Change your speedometer gear to calibrate your speedometer. All you need to know is your tire size and your axle ratio size to determine which speedo gear will get your speedometer reading accurately again.

The ratios inside the transfer case are the same between all non-Rubicon Wranglers, so if it bolted up ok, it's fine. Your axle ratios are what count anyway and you didn't change them so no worries. You're not driving in 4Lo while on a paved road surface are you???

Jerry

TJBoy wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Try taking the speedo gear from your old tcase and putting it in the new one...that should fix your speedometer problem.

As far as the leaking, there should be an input shaft seal on the new T case, I don't believe the auto transmission and transfer case share fluid. putting a gasket between the tranny and the T case won't fix the leak, and if you plug the weep hole, you'll fill the adapter with fluid from whatever source. Are you sure it isn't your transmission leaking? If it's the transmission, you are risking contaminating the transmission fluid, not good for an auto trans.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo