Transfer Case Compatibility

I need a new transfer case for my '85 Jeep Wagoneer. Mine is a New Process Gear Model 229 AM, Ass'y.No. 89530 00159, Serial No. 1 23 86 1, Ratio 261.

Can I use a Model 228 AM, Ass'y.No. 89530 03970, Serial No. 7 1 85 2, Ratio

261 as a replacement.

What is the difference between the 228 AM and 229 AM models?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Larry

Reply to
L.Mayan

As far as I have read, the 228/229 are a direct swap. The main difference is that the 228 does not use a vicious coupler like the 229. Some people see that as an advantage (no special fluid inside the vicous coupler), some people say it's a downgrade (229 is a limited slip T/C). Depends who you want to beleive. Try a google search there's info out there, but it is not the easiest to find. I had some info saved, but I think I deleteed it when I cleaned out emails reacently.

Best bet is to try the forums at

If you ask someone there they can explain it better than I.

Let me know if you need decide to stay with the 229. I just happen to be selling one cheap.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks very much for the info, Kevin. Also, what kind of deal can I get on your 229?

Thank you again. Larry

Reply to
L.Mayan

Thanks very much for the link, Bill. Great info.

God bless America and you, too.

Larry

Reply to
L.Mayan

I have a guy deciding if he wants it right now, but I think he's gonna pass. He was talking about putting it in a CJ behind a 360/727 combo. I'm guessing he's gonna come to the realization that the 229 is just TOO big to put in a CJ. If you're interested I'll give him one more day to get back to me otherwise you can have it.

I was originally asking $150, I have since lowered it to $100 just to get it out of my garage. It came from a GW we parted out. We verified that it worked before removing it, but other than that I don't know much about it's condition or # of miles on it.

I even have it crated up and ready to ship (I lost a previous buyer at the last minute). I have pictures etc..

Let me know.

It is located in 81503 and I bet it weighs about 100 pounds (with the crate) if you wanna look at shipping costs.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Thanks, Kevin. Let me know about the guy who's still deciding. I checked UPS and from your Zip to mine (19953), 100 lbs. in a 24"x24"x24" crate costs about $75 to ship via UPS Ground. I'll give this deal some serious thought...

Reply to
L.Mayan

I think you can get even cheaper through FedEx freight. I'd have to call them an ask though. You might have to have a FedEx freight facility in your general are though.

This is what FedEx freight came back with on your zip code

Requested location 19953 Service center FED FEDERALSBURG

4810 WILLIAMSBURG ROAD HURLOCK , MD 21643 Local: Phone: 1.888.893.0005 Fax: 1.410.943.8533 Manager: DEXTER MAXWELL
Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Larry, probably the best place for technical information and advice regarding your Waggy is the International Full Size Jeep Association

You definitely want to give this group a look-see. :-) For parts, try
These guys are awesome. They will go to extremes to help you out.

Reply to
TJim

The guy that was looking to buy it said he isn't going to need it for awhile. So if I can sell it he said go ahead.

If you want it, it's yours.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

THANK YOU, Jim. I am new into Jeeps but have been working on cars all my adult life. And since i'm 50, i suppose that must be a long time :)

I have bought four 1985 Wagoneers this year, 2 to run and 2 for parts. I have checked out IFSJA and gotten some great help there. The parts link you sent is just what i need.

Thanks again! Larry

Reply to
L.Mayan