transfer case fluid on muffler

Hi, folks! It's been a while since i wrote something - time to fix that :-) Here's my latest problema, hope you can help: I had the rear transfer case seal fail miserably on my 91 jeep wrangler i-6 with man tranny a few months ago. Before i discovered what happened i lost 90 percent of the transfer case fluid which deposited all over the rear underside of the cab and also on the muffler. So now when the tail pipe heats up i can sense this funny smell coming from under the vehicle. The seal has since been replaced but the fluid is still all over there and reminds me of its existence every time i get out of the vehicle. Any ideas on how to safely clean it up? The darned burned oil seems pretty happy right where it is (translation: it successfully resisted all my to-date attempts to remove it). All suggestions greatly appreciated. Tia. Peter D.

Reply to
Peter D.

with man tranny a few

which deposited all

tail pipe heats up i can

replaced but the fluid

of the vehicle. Any

right where it is

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You may be vaporizing the fluid that was sprayed over the floor pan and frame rails. The stuff that actually hit the exhaust is long gone by now.

Try spending a few dollars at your local coin car wash and give the undercarriage a good going over with the engine cleaner spray.

Reply to
billy ray

That reminds me. I've got to spray down the engine soon so I can see it again! Fred

85 GW
Reply to
Fred V.

with man tranny a few

which deposited all

tail pipe heats up i can

replaced but the fluid

of the vehicle. Any

right where it is

Reply to
RoyJ

If you can still smell it, you haven't driven far or long enough. Try going to the carwash and pressure washing the muffler and the rest of the underbody, then go for a 30-40 minute drive and burn those fumes off.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Don't get your muffler fluid contaminated.

:-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Synthetic fluid is better suited for the heat and pressure muffler bearings endure than dino juice.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Better Living Thru Chemistry

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The link below makes reference to the method of manufacturing "synthetic" motor oils..

We are 'both' correct.

That being said I would never want to use dino juice on turbo-charged muffler bearings. Those bearings need all the help they can get.... an synthetics are 'slicker than pig snot.'

Reply to
billy ray

What.... your CJ won't run on bunker oil?

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill,

What would you call "synthetic" then? Something made from corn oil, sunflower oil or ethanol? Or would they have to start with CO2 from the atmosphere, or elemental carbon, combined with interstellar hydrogen?

Earle

"synthetic"

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

No, you have to start with raw electrons, protons and neutrons. Compress the heck out of them, heat 'em up a bit and you got lithium, tritium, deuterium, etc. Keep squeezing and you get oxygen, carbon, iron, etc. Then squeeze a bit more until they blow up, so you get thorium, gold, platinum, etc. and a huge cloud of miscellaneous hydrocarbons scattered all over. Freeze for a few billion years with stray cosmic rays whacking them about, then let a few small clumps of water ice, hydrocarbon slush, ammonia, and a tiny bit of rock or two stick together. Play a few games of billiards with them to squeeze the good stuff, and start all over, but this time you have very tiny amounts of ammonia, cynanide, etc. in with the hydrogen. Rinse, lather, repeat, and you get synthesis. All of this takes less time than Bill's lifetime of course.

Earle Horton proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Bill uses only premium drip gas.