Transfer Case problems Diagnosis.

I have been told my transfer case may be making a the "gear meshing noise". I would like to become more informed as to diagnosing transfer case problems on a 1991 Grande Cherokee 5.1 liter Jeep. History.

  1. Front Differential blew . Rebuilt by Mechanic.
  2. Four months Later Real Differential blows Rebuilt same mechanic. A. Possible cause mismatched Tires.
  3. A noise remains It occurs after the car is driven, when in Park, sounds like possible gear meshing low pitch, intermittent. During driving when the car is steered to the left you hear a higher pitched whine. like a power steering pump low on fluid. Any help would be great. thanks pd
Reply to
jack

you are likely to blow the transfer case and differentials if you have been driving on tarmac with the transfer case in part time mode (i.e on a vehicle with either no centre diff or the centre diff locked) . Have you checked to see how much fluid is in your transfer case ? The high pitched whine when going left is more likely to be a differential noise.

Dave Milne

Reply to
Jo Bo