Transfer case question NP231

I had my transfer case and transmission rebuilt when I got my jeep.(89 YJ 4 banger 5 Speed) Transfer case was shot. The day I brought it home it was leaking oil. They rebuilt a cracked transfer case. I don't have a manual, but is this transfer case supposed to use ATF, or gear oil? I noticed on the group some use ATF, or gear oil. They want another 500, for a transfer case. I'm not shelling it out. I plan to put a S/B Chevy in it, and not wasting more money on the original stuff. Anyhow one more thing to bitch about if they put the wrong fluid in it(Gear oil). Any help would be great. Thanks Paul

Reply to
Paul

Your t-case calls for ATF not gear oil.

How can a shop be so sleazy as to rebuild a cracked case?????

Mike

Mike Romain

The NP231 uses ATF. If they rebuilt a cracked transfer case, and put the wrong fluid in it, take them to small claims court. I think you have a good case to get your labor money back, or maybe all of it. It looks as if they are offering to rebuild the case, if you spring for the new housing. I think you could tell the judge that you don't like this deal, because you don't trust the quality of their work.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Thanks Earl, No they want to put a junkyard transfer case in it. Which was 800.00 I told them when I first went there I could get a true tested transfer case for 650.00 before they rebuilt mine. I just wanted to get the one I had rebuilt because I wasn't gonna keep it but for the summer. Needless to say they want another 500.00, and they will eat the rest towards the junkyard transfercase. I asked them if they were kidding because I orginally told them about the other one I could have had put in. If I just wanted to swap transfer cases I could have done that myself. Not to mention comming out of another jeep with 180,000 miles. W.T.F. Thats not gonna happen. I guess when I tell them they srewed up and put the wrong fluid in it may make things easier.

Reply to
Paul

A cracked case which is not on a stress line can sometimes be repaired with J.B.Weld or similar product. Of course, when was the last time I saw a crack, not on a stress line? Heliarc aluminum welding is also a possibility. What did this "rebuild" consist of? Small parts kit? Chain? It definitely uses ATF. Gear oil may screw up the oil pump, starve the planetary gear cluster and fail to permeate bushings properly. People who don't know what goes in these things, have no business rebuilding them.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton