Transmission Cooler & Temp Gauge - 01 TJ

Hi,

I am putting a temperature gauge for the auto tranny just to monitor what it is doing. I am thinking about putting a cooler in at the same time. Can anybody tell me which one of the lines is out from tranny. I know I can take one of them off and just crank the engine and see which oil blows out, but there must be someone more knowledgeable than that. Also, are the ends on the lines which go into the radiator threaded?

I have checked with the local dealer, there is no Mopar auxiliary trans cooler for TJs, but there are for Grand Cherokees. So I am going with a B&M unit.

Appreciate any comments and input.

Thanks

Reply to
TW

Look where they go into the radiator. It is marked

Reply to
Billy Ray

I tow a lot with my jeep so put both on my 04. With the operating temp up to normal you can feel the lines and tell the difference. The lines are rubber to the radiator. Disconnect the line and splice it to the cooler and put the other one back on the radiator. I tapped into the Trans pan for the sending unit. I think I paid about 50 bucks for both from a supply house in Dallas. I got the brass splice from Home Depot. (plumbing) I used garden hose on the "V" support bars and mounted thought the radiator like normal. Hardest part was where to locate the temp gauge. Hope this helps. Temp will go to over

200 in traffic jam as it is going to be the same as the engine temp . If you need any other info let me know
Reply to
Tom P

All auto TJ's have factory transmission coolers. If you want to add an additional cooler the left side is the pressure line and the right side is the return.

Dean

Dean

Thanks. Why did you put the sender on the pan? I mean, the hottest temperature would be on the pressure line going out of the trans. By the time oil is back in the pan, it has been cooled by the cooler and mixed with other oil in the pan. Also, its another location which can spring a leak.

Which model cooler and gauge did you install. I have bought Datcon smart gauge which goes from 100 to 320 with a LED indicator triggered at 240 (on the face it says TRANS TEMP). Also, where did you put the gauge? Can you email me a photo? I have been scratching my head today. I am also putting an engine oil temperature gauge for which I need to find a suitable sandwich plate to go behind the oil filter for the sender. I have a similar Datcon gauge, but its lower range and trigger and the face says OIL TEMP.

Thanks for you time and suggestions. TW

Reply to
TW

I have tried looking, but its difficult to read with all the dried mud caked on around the area. I will try washing it and perhaps it helps.

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

Great thanks. Would this be the right when I am in the driver seat and looking forward or standing in front and looking towards the engine! I am joking, thanks for the info.

I'll monitor the temp for a while and see how high it goes. If it is going up frequently, then I will have to put an additional cooler.

TW

Reply to
TW