Transmission mount bolts

I'm getting ready to replace the transmission mount on my 97 TJ (5-spd,

4.0L, AX-15 tranny), and as I bought this Jeep used recently, and it was previsouly used mainly as an offroad vehicle, I don't know what to expect as far as the condition of the current hardware, given the fact that one of the nuts holding the mount to the skid plate is missing already, and those studs are all rusted up. As such, I decided to just replace the bolts connecting the mount to the transmission housing with all new ones.

I got from the Jeep parts department the specification that these bolts are 0.437" (aka 7/16") x 14 x 1.120". The problem is 1.120" is a completely non-standard size, and this isn't a part the dealer carries. I have however been able to obtain 1.125" (1-1/8") grade 5 bolts in that size.

My question to all you Jeep geniuses out there is, how tight is the clearance between the ends of these bolts and the rear of the transmission housing. Am I going to have a problem as a result of this extra 5 thousandths of an inch? Does anybody know where I can obtain the right size bolts if so? I find it hard to believe that anyone would design something like that with such tight tolerances, but then stupider things have happened. I'd like to avoid any surprises once I've got the skid plate off and all, so I want to make sure I have appropriate hardware before I start.

Any help or reassurance that I'm not going to puncture or crack my tranny housing with my extra 5 thousandths of an inch (or a warning that I will if that's the case) will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott

I don't understand why the damn dealers don't carry the bolts, same thing happened to me on my CJ7.

Put a thick washer on it to be sure it doesn't punch through or stick a screw driver in the hole to measure the depth, sometimes they allow an extra 1/8" to 1/4" in hole depth beyond the bolt length.

Mike

Scott wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

.005 difference? That's about one good grunt after it's tight . Seriously, when I put an AX15 in the MJ I almost screwed up royally with those bolts - the ones in the holes when I got it had a shoulder that was too long for the mount plate so that the shoulder hit before it snugged up against the plate. One more good tug on the wrench would probably have busted the ear off the tranny. AIR, there is way more than .005 extra room - the end of the bolt was nowhere near the case even with obviously too much bolt. I elected to get replacement bolts that were full thread the same length as the ones that came with the tranny - no problem with clearance.

Reply to
Will Honea

Well that's what I've got, is a full thread bolt, that's as close as I seem to be able to get to the factory spec, 0.005" over in length, but no shoulder (assuming by shoulder you mean the unthreaded section at the head end of some bolts). So you're saying I should be good then?

Reply to
Scott

Oh, yeah, also, does anybody know the proper torque specification for the transmission mount to transmission bolts, the transmission skid plate to frame bolts (I've heard the nutserts in the frame are pretty soft and can easily be stripped if overtightened, so I'd just as soon do it right), and the nuts on the studs that bolt the transmission mount to the skid plate? I've ordered a service manual, but I don't think it will come until next week, and I was kind of hoping to get this job done this weekend (although this is sounding less and less likely now that I promised to fix my buddies crappy Olds Alero this weekend... seems the electrical system as a whole has taken a vacation... but that's another story).

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

AFAICT, the manufacturer's spec doesn't say anything about a shoulder bolt. The bolts I obtained are Grade 5.

Reply to
Scott