Transmission noise coming up through the gear shift?!?

Hi folks, have any of you experienced a vibration and whirling noise through the gear shift,...sounds as if the knob is loose on the gear shift the way it rattles but it's actually coming up the gear shift shaft from somewhere down below. When you push the clutch in...the noise goes away. I've heard this exact same noise on old school buses and the like. This is happening on a jeep I'm looking at. The guy said he just had the clutch replaced two days ago! The clutch does feel great!,..nice and grabby.

Allen

Reply to
<ABanks5

I'd steer clear... buy a vehicle where no major work has just been done. Too many things could have been screwed up, say if they let the transmission hang by the input shaft and bent the pilot shaft. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

If you're talking about a TJ, there was a service bulletin for this. I think the fix changed a linkage to minimize the noise.

Reply to
Jeff Scherb