Transmission Over Temp - 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

I recently purchased a 2000 model Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It had

120,000k's (don't know what that is in miles!) and had full dealer service history. I continued the servicing of the vehicle with timely precision. I was driving along one day and the "O/D Off" light came up on the dash and stayed on. I thought I must have accidently bumped the overdrive button. I tried clicking it on and no matter how I clicked it the "O/D Off" light stayed on the dash. Next the "trans over temp light" came one. I thought "Oh Dear!" I drove a little further until I could get to the nearest mechanic. By the time I arrived a funny whurring sound was coming from the gear box. The gear stick now 'slips' into gear and when driving the gears will not move up or down. It gets "stuck" in gear (auto transmission obviously) - the car went into "limp" mode (that's what the jeep guy said) he cleared the codes and I can drive the vehicle but not very far or very fast. It's been sitting in the driveway for 3 weeks now. Of course everyone is an expert - but I would love to hear from anyone who might have ANY idea at all as to what the problem here could be. The best solution I have been offered is that "the gear box will HAVE to come out regardless and nobody will know what is wrong with it until that happens" This I have been told will set me back anywhere up to $6,000.00. What i want to know is why someone who is a "transmission expert" cannot even give me a clue as to what the problem might be. I await your replys!!!!! Thanks in advance! Lyndall
Reply to
Kit Kat
120K km x 5 / 8 = 75K miles.

Sounds to me like you don't have any transmission fluid in the box. Check the fluid level and tell us how much is there and what colour it is.

Dave Milne

Add to the color... consistency and smell.

Your Jeep should have had a transmission filter and 4-6 quarts of ATF+4 service every 2 years as preventive maintenance.

Jeeps are also very sensitive to the fluids used in them, DC says most problems are fluid related. Few repair garages carry ATF+4 and the use of 'universal' fluids or 'add a can of this secret formula to our cheapo fluid to make ATF+4 are forbidden by DC. (the secret additives don't work)

Many times the transmission (and transfer case) are ignored because some people think whatever is under the vehicle can be ignored.

In your case the transmission overheated, at least, and in absence of other problems perhaps you should fit an external cooler. It is a fairly easy procedure and parts run about $50

What engine, transmission, transfer case do you have? When was it last serviced (what service was performed)?We can further the diagnosis with additional info.

PS You needn't convert to miles, just tell make sure you let us know it is km (kilometers) not just k (thousand). We just pretend not to know the French method of measurement.......

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

A 2000 WJ would have the 42re or 45re trannies.

billy ray

replying to Kit Kat, Kc P Southard wrote: In most cases a sealed transmission can have anywhere from 100s to thousands of internal moving alot of which that while failing can cause the exact same symptoms as other failing parts. That said ive been in the transmission rebuilding business for over 25 years and i cannot count the amount of customers who get angry because i am unable to tell them what part is actually failing or combined parts. Look if this work was easy more mechanucs would do it i cannot put my reputatiob in jeopardy. If the consumer likes as i run ny business you are more then welcone to have joe blow who told you a set price. I guarantee he wont be in business very long

Reply to
Kc P Southard

What has happened is there have been too many fly-by-night "mechanic/technicians" that rather than diagnose the actual problem and fix choose to throw expensive part after expensive part at a problem and charge the customer a ridiculous markup to cover their lack of skill.

And now customers expect fixed estimates for repairs that cannot be estimated.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran