Transmission Problem ?? Slow to start moving ?

This is posted for my son, who has a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with quadra trac.

On first crank up, he puts it into reverse, and moves downhill about 30 feet to make a turn, and then goes up a long uphill driveway ( about 20 degree angle). After about 20-25 feet of going uphill, the car acts like it is in neutral, and the engine just races if he gives it more gas. He has to put the brakes on to stop it from rolling backwards. If he tries this several times, it goes up the hill real fine, and seems to drive fine all day long (I assume after it is warm). After driving 10 minutes or so, the car will go up much steeper hills, and never hesitates or loses power.

I am NOT a mechanic, but it sounds like some kind of slipping clutch (bands????) in the transmission. Does this model have "adjustable bands" , and is this a possible remedy ??

The transmission fluid is at the proper level, and we have not seen any leaks.

Any ideas of what problem may be developing here ??

Thanks for any tips !!

--James---

Reply to
James Nipper

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Are you sure the fluid is at the proper level? My 96 XJ's dipstick has two "full" marks. One on each side. One for cold and the other for warn/hot. I think the hot is used after twenty minuets of driving. Also has the fluid been changed?

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Thanks to JObo and Bill. We are going to check the fluid more carefully, and make very certain it is full. It was changed 5-6 months ago, so I don't think it is "bad" oil.

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

It is possible it could be 'bad' oil since ATF breaks down very quickly if it is overtemped. But like you said if it was changed 5-6 months ago, it is not likely unless the jeep is driven hard or under heavy loads. Definitely re check the fluid level like you said. Make sure the jeep is level, and the engine is idling at operating temperature, with transmission in either P or N (whichever the owner's manual states - If I would have to guess I'd say Park, since that is what my 94 JGC requires) - some automatic trannys require the fluid to be checked in P, some in N -- you will get very different readings if you check it in the wrong setting, and it is possible to get a full reading when the transmission is actually a quart or more low.

One other thought. Make sure it is the correct type of transmission fluid. Most Chrysler automatic trannys require ATF+3 for Chrysler transmissions. This fluid has a MOPAR additive MS 7176 that is required to preserve the clutch linings in the transmission. If you use regular Dexron/Mercon II or III, it will eat away your clutch linings and ultimately cause the transmission to fail. This is a common mistake if the Jeep is taken to such places as Jiffy Lube for a transmission fluid change. I would check the receipt from the last time your fluid was changed and make sure that it states the correct fluid was used. This is very important!!!

Sorry this is a little long, but I hope it helps!

Good Luck!

Phil

Reply to
Phil Rynn

Phil.

I have a 96 charokee with 4L engine and 4 speed auto shift. I asked what fluid to use and get answers from "what does it say on the stick" to read the owners book. The book says Dexron and the stick says "Trans Oil". What oil is correct for this transmission?

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Jo Bo I'm pretty sure that you will require ATF+3 (with the MOPAR 7176 additive). Most Chrysler transmissions from 1994 on require this fluid. Any Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler/Mitsubishi/some Hyundai cars from this time period onward will most likely require this fluid. To be sure, you can check with the service department at any Jeep dealer. Just call and ask what type of fluid the transmission requires. I have the shop manual for my 94 JGC and it lists that fluid as a requirement. I also have the Haynes manual for JGC '93 thru '00 and it states that ATF+3 is required on all '94 and above. My guess is that Jeep Cherokee would be similar, but I don't know if it has the same transmission as the JGC. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Phil

PS: I used to have a 95 Mitsubishi Galant that also required ATF+3, but when I first asked at the auto parts store if they had the right fluid, I was told that I could put any Mercron/Dexron II/III fluid in. This is not correct so I would be wary of trusting statements made by an auto parts salesman.

transmissions.

Reply to
Phil Rynn

Phil.

I just found what some one told me. On the back cover of the "1996 Jeep Cherokee Owners Manual" it says: "2.5L=Mopar ATF Plus #7176 Do not use Dexron III Mercon unless recommended fluid is not available.

4.0L=Mopar auto transmission fluid #4773590 or equivalent labled Dexron III Mercon Fluid".

So I think (hope) using Dexron III Mercon in my 96 4.0L was correct. It has the AW4 transmission. My Haynes for 1984-2000 calls for Mercon for AW4 and Dexron for 727 & 999 transmissions and makes no mention of the #7176 Chrysler ATF+3. So they're all wet!

Thanks for your time JoBo.

Reply to
Jo Bo

Dexron/Mercon II