Turbo Jeep!

OK, here we go...... I have a 97 TJ that is a 'streetster'. I'm looking to stick a turbo under the hood of my 97 TJ 2.5L. Yes, a

2.5L 4 banger! The only parts I need to purchase are the turbo and inter- cooler. All else I plan to fabricate. I just want to see how far I can take this motor before I blow it up (I doubt it will). If it does blow that is when I'll drop in a 6 or 8 cylinder and then I'll put the turbo on my lawn mower. I was looking to see if anyone in this group has installed a turbo setup in their rig for on-street performance (and wants to admit it). If you have: how bad did it hurt off-road crawling? was it difficult to install? what turbo did you use? What kind of horsepower did you realize? any turbo advice besides "don't do it"? Even if you haven't installed a turbo what do you think if you had a Jeep just to experiment with? I've read hundreds of posts in this group, about all kinds of stuff. Collectively in this group you all are Jeep geniuses, that's why I'm asking. If this isn't the appropriate group then accept my apologies. Thanks for your help.

Bobby Rock-n-roll or roll-over-a-rock. Either is OK with me!

Reply to
Bobby M

I think that I would go with a super charger as the 4 banger would probably take way too long to spool up. With the s/c you would have instant power and all the sparks and flames when it blew would be kewl.

Reply to
Gary

Depends on what to OP is after. Blowers give you real good low rpm boost where turbos give you high rpm boost.

The 4 could be turboed. I've seen one a few years back and everything seemed to fit properly. They also used the same boost-a-pump that I use for the blower rather than install larger or secondary injectors. What ever you do, do not forget the blowoff valve. :) Oil can be had by T off the pressure sender. But when you go to send the oil back into the pan it is recommended that you drop the pan so that no metal filings are left behind by the drilling. Lots of quickie shops just drill and clean thinking that the oil screen will keep metal out of the pump. I guess if the drill is sharp and you are careful it's less likely to get metal into the pan... something I wouldn't do. Oddest thing I saw was using the oil dipstick tube with a T fitted on the bottom as the return. Not sure how well that would work.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks for the advice on dropping the oil pan. I hadn't thought of that. That's one of those 'little' details that will get ya. I was thinking Turbo because I've seen many other street vehicles with them. I hadn't even considered a super-charger. I'll have to read some about them; that is interesting. In my situation I think I am looking more for higher RPM boost. In either case to you think an oil cooler would be advisable? I guess it couldn't hurt but would it help to keep the oil from breaking down?

Reply to
Bobby M

Both turbos and superchargers use oil, but turbos demand oil for cooling because of the heat they endure on the exhaust side. It's also a good idea to think about how you are going to drive it. With turbos it is important to let the engine idle for a bit after you stop. Especially if you have been heavy into it. This allows the turbo to slow down and gives the bearings a bit more oil to help cool. This extends the life of your turbo.

Reply to
DougW

Maybe if you change the gears to 2:something from 4:10 you _might_ see some movement. As mine is, you need to make the motor turn a a lot to move a little bit.

-Scott '97 TJ SE

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

I had considered gearing (and may still). I found this to be pretty expensive and someone has to do it for me. I have neither the skill nor the tools. I was thinking at least with installing a turbo I'd have the tools :o) I am slowly, but surely, educating myself on superchargers (thanks for the insight Gary). I basically understand turbocharges and I have an idea how to implement one. A supercharger may actually work better for a 4-banger at lower speeds but I need to figure out what to expect at higher speeds such as highway speeds of 55-70mph. If I'm chugging at 45mph and need to jump to 70mph in a heart-beat; which is better? Turbo or Supercharger? BTW, my rig is automatic (don't laugh):(

Reply to
Bobby M

So is mine. It will go, if you floor it and wait some. The company car I drive has a lot more vrooom to it and it's also a 4 cyl auto. Gearing and transmission ratios need to be matched to weight and the torque curve if you want maximum go, like a race car. As the Jeep comes from the factory, it is designed to climb Mt. Everest. It just won't do it fast. If you want get up and go, sorry to say, but sell it and get something else...

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore