Turn signal question

I have a couple of questions about the turn signals on my 95 XJ Sport.

I just replaced a burned out bulb. While it was bad, I noticed the typical "fast-flash" of the dash indicator (and the working bulb), but I also noticed that if you held the lever at the point just before it latches, there is a (warning?) buzzer sound.

Is this indeed a warning buzzer??

So anyway, I replaced the bad bulb in the FRONT and now all the signals and lights work properly, EXCEPT, when I now hold the turn signal lever at the point just before it latches, it still flashes quickly (*without* buzzing) but now the REAR lamp doesn't flash. (It flashes properly if I pull the lever all the way till it latches).

I determined that I used the wrong BULB in the front (An 1157 for my old Toyota instead of the proper 2057).

Could this be causing the anomaly?

What IS the difference between the two positions of the turn signal lever?

TIA

Noneyabusiness

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:06:02 GMT, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by Noneyabusiness :

The first position is for lane changes. When you release it it returns to "off", but if you pull the lever past the detent it will stay on until you manually move it back or straighten from a turn (as you know). FWIW, the buzzing sound is (in my '98 XJ, anyway) caused by incomplete contact in the lane-change position; I suspect a relay. On mine it usually works, but sometimes I get the same symptoms you describe (right only; left fine). If it wasn't for the airbag I'd take the steering wheel off and fix it, but for me it's not worth the hassle of dealing with; YMMV.

Reply to
Bob Casanova

But for me, the buzzing went away after replacing the bulb. Kinda like it was a secondary warning (along with the faster flash rate) that a bulb was out...

Noneyabusiness

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 08:39:09 GMT, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by Noneyabusiness :

Could be. On mine, if it buzzes *none* of the lights flash (which is why I think it's a switch contact problem). And as I said, it's an intermittent problem.

Reply to
Bob Casanova