Turn Signal Wiring Question

Greetings. I have installed (well, almost) a pair of signal mirrors on my

1997 Cherokee Sport. The hardware is all attached and everything, but the wiring is giving me some fits. I bought a multimeter from eBay and waited patiently for its arrival. Now that I have it, I can't get it to tell me which wire is for the left turn signal and which wire is for the right turn signal. It is a DT-830B Digital Multimeter - the kind all over eBay - with 2 detachable leads (one + and one -). The miror instructions said to look for the light green wire for the left turn signal and the tan wire for the right turn signal. I saw a darker green and no tan under my steering console where all the wires come into the vehicle. Can anyone please help me figure this out? I set the multimeter to the 200m setting in the DCV area as that is where it starts to register that it is getting some kind of readings from something - before I touch anything. I have tried turning on both turn signals and touching the red lead to each wire while the black lead is touching the metal of the Jeep. However, I can't get a reading for anything. Thanks a ton!

James

Reply to
James

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

James did pass the time by typing:

200m as in millivolts, 1/1000 of a volt? Try Volts as in a scale of 20V. That number represents the maximum that will be shown.

Don't have a book for your year but the process is fairly easy.

1) put the black lead to ground 2) turn on your hazzards 3) using a small pin in the other lead, probe each wire looking for a 12volt pulse. 4) once you found both, turn the ignition on and put the left signal on. 5) check to see which one is left. 6) same for right, (the reason to check both is to make sure you got the correct wire.)

The other method is to pull the turn signals and look at the wires most often the color code is the same all the way through.

Reply to
DougW

That meter is for measuring volts AND ohms. Volts is what you are looking for, if you use the Ohms setting to look for volts, the magic smoke will leak out and your meter won't work anymore.

There is a symbol that looks like this

Reply to
CRWLR