Turning my 94 YJ into a Rock Crawler: Progress Report

Earlier this summer I ordered up new Dynatrac Axles for my bought-used

94 YJ. Pro-Rock 60 in the rear, Dana 44 up front, both w/ ARB lockers, and designed for a SOA application. The axles cost more than I paid for the Jeep!

Do not believe the Dynatrac salespeople if they tell you they "can probably get it to you quicker" than 6 weeks. You're probably going to buy anyway, but they really shouldn't try to sugar-coat the sale that way.

While waiting for Dynatrac to build the axles, I placed orders for the other items I would need, and did some wheeling around. This weekend, with all items (supposedly) at hand I started the install in earnest.

I measured 9' of clearance to the old rear diff, 9.5" on the front, just to keep track. Just for giggles, without installing them under the rig, I mounted up my new 37" SuperSwampers on the Pro Rock 60 axle and the diff now sees almost 13 inches of daylight! That's before loading a Jeep on top, or airing down.

Previous wheel width, front wheels, outside edges of tires: 67".

New rear axle w/ 13" wide Super Swampers, outside edges of tires: 80"!!!

Wow! I'm gonna need to get either a different wheel offset, or some mega big honkin' fender flares!

The rear axle came off easy: e-brake cables, diff vent, brake line, shocks, and leaf springs. Here's the bitch, though: It took almost 3 hours for the next step: removing the transfer case bash plate. WHY?

Because the previous owner, for some reason, when he installed his transfer case drop kit, welded not four, but SIX pieces of 1" leg x 1/8" thick steel angle iron from the frame to the bash plate! I had to grind the thick welds off, being careful not to grind into the frame members.

Then I got my allen wrench to undo the bash plate bolts. AAAAAH! Now I found out why he'd welded on the angle iron. _Every_ damn one of the bash plate bolts was stripped inside the frame and would not come out! He must have used a hammer drill or an impact wrench when he installed his drop kit, found that he'd torqued away the threaded part, and now had a sloppy banging bash plate. I even used a miniature hydraulic "beak" (I call it the "Duck Bill of Life") to force the plate down while I ratcheted the bolts out...no go. They were all stripped and that was that.

So I had to Sawzall every damn bolt off, but each one had a nice 1" diameter spacer/standoff that kept revolving and making my Sawzall kick violently, so I had to grip 'em and hold 'em down with an odd combo of Vise grip assemblies. NOT fun.

Next: Separate the T-case, to install my JB Converisons SYE kit. Only 6 bolts, but boy, those top two ain't easy to get to, especially on the exhaust pipe side. As per some fantastic JB SYE install pages found on the web, getting the T-case open was a breeze.

HOWEVER: The JB SYE Kit, as sent to me by Tellico4x4.com, was incomplete. No new caged needle bearings, to make the new JB shaft fit the synchro and drive gears were included. Major roadblock. I wasn't going to finish the install this weekend.

My call and email are in to them; the T-Case's on hold until I get the proper bearings. Oh, well. I suppose I can install the ARB compressor/tank/switches n' stuff while I wait!

Reply to
Cal Wheeler

So what else did you do with the rest of your evening??

Reply to
Jeepaholic

HA! Well, Mid-Day Friday was when I removed the rear axle. Saturday was the frickin' bash plate/JB SYE day. Sunday was spruce up the backyard and swim day; no grease, no PB Blaster, no 1/2" ratchet helper bars or busted knuckles! It wasn't until about 8:00 pm last night that I decided to mount up the Swampers onto the axle (DAMN that axle's heavy!).

I'll try to more acurately note the days and times worked in my diary next time ;-).

But hey: Doesn't it SUCK to have your Jeep up on jack stands, unable to drive? I want it DONE and I want to DRIVE!

Reply to
Cal Wheeler

Yes, it is one heavy-duty axle. I'm running with a Pro Rock 60 (w/ 5.13s, Detroit locker) in the back and just ordered a matching one for the front of my 92YJ.

With your Dynatrac frontend, was curious what kind of steering setup you are using? Did you go with either Dynatrac's HD cross-over or their high-clearance steering arm packages? I'm still spring-under, and with

5.25" of front suspension lift I'm at the minimum for the hi-steer arm setup. I've been hesitant to go SOA or make any more modifications to the suspension - I used to run reverse shackles and removed them because I could not get used to the new driving characteristics (nose dive while braking).

Sounds like you got a cool project going there (except for the skip plate).

Terry

92YJ
Reply to
Terry Jeffrey

I've got 5.13s, too. What size wheels/tires are you running?

HOLY! Pro Rock 60 back AND front! Awesome!

High clearance. I haven't installed the front yet.

I hear ya. I think the SOA would replace a lot of what you have going, as opposed to being additive. I've got the previous owners' 2.5" spring lift, and I added Teraflex/Revolver shackles.

I'm anxious to see how this all sits and handles once it's all put back together. Do you use your rig for normal driving, too? I disconnected front and rear track bars and front sway bars and have never gone back. Have you done ths same?

Thanks! Now that everything's apart, I'm thinking I should really add a lot more armor underneath, too.

Reply to
Cal Wheeler