types of oil

whats the difference between 5w20-40 and 10w20-40. whens it best to use one or the other? Whats best for my '96 cherokee?

Reply to
gcdenis

The manual probably calls for 10w-30

Reply to
billy ray

The best is what the owners manual calls for. The numbers you mention are nonsense numbers.

Usually Jeeps use 10W30 for normal North American temperatures.

'My' XJ's owners manual calls for 20W40 or 20W50 for temperatures 'only' above freezing or 30F or -1C up to as hot as it gets.

For temperatures above 0F or -18C it calls for 10W30 or 10W40 up to as hot as it gets.

For temperatures 'only' Below 60F or 16C it calls for 5W30 down to as low as it gets.

Mike

gcdenis wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain