Tyre advice needed

Hi Everyone, I've been a lurker here for the last 3 months, ever since I got my XJ. Every time I've had a question, the answer's been here before I even got to ask it. You guys and gals are a wealth of info, so I thought I'd ask for some advice. I need (read want) new tyres on my XJ to replace a near new set of wrangler gsa's. These are ok on the highway, but as soon as you show them a bit of mud they turn to slicks.My XJ's a '95 Classic, and is completely stock. Unfortunately, being a '95 Classic it doesn't have a trac-lok diff, so tyres become a bit more important. I've narrowed the choice down to 3, all 235/75R15.

1- Cooper STT 2-Goodyear Wrangler MTR 3-Kumho Venturer 834 Most of the tracks we travel are rocks and mud,but the conditions can change every 5 minutes. I've been told I can fit 30x9.5's, but these are nearly 2" bigger then stock. In the police state I live in, they use radar cameras to book you for speeding, so I don't want to have the speedo out too much. Any advice or experiences with these tyres would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Happy New Year. Larry in Melbourne Australia.
Reply to
Fruitfly

I just replaced my Goodyear Wrangler GSA tires with Firestone Destination AT tires. The noise level is about the same (maybe little higher on some surfaces) but the traction is much better.

It's snow and ice here >Hi Everyone,

-- msosborn at msosborn dot com

Reply to
Matt Osborn

Welcome Larry, Melborne is a nice place, what part are you from? I am in the US now, but lived in the Melbourne area for a few years. I bet your XJ looks good next to all of those Toyotas!

From my notes on BFG tires the 235/75R15 tire should stand about 29" tall, and the 30x9.5's stand 29.5" tall. So there is only a half inch overall difference (1/4 inch over all vehicle height, or 1/4" closer to the fenders depending how you want to look at it). So I don't think it would ever matter either way.

As far as effecting your speedometer readings, again I don't think they are different enough for you to even notice. If you want to double check (I remember seeing some expensive VIC tickets) have a buddy with a GPS ride along with you so you can get a true measurement of your speed. So you know what the police will really be seeing as well.

From your 3 options I would pick the Goodyear tires, but I would also concider BFG All-Terrains or for more offroad use the Mud-Terrains.

Reply to
Rusted

Wrangler MT/R is your best bet. I had a set of 30x9.5's on a stock 89 Cherokee. I was very pleased with thier performance and durability. I was unable to destroy them. They will rub on the lower driver's side control arm a tiny bit on full left turn, but it is not a big deal.. it's just all that side tread. :-D

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Larry, If you already have a problem with mud filling the voids, I'd stay away from all-terrains. BFG mud terrain tires sound like they'd be your better off-road choice but will be loud on pavement. That's pretty much what I've been running for a long time and they're good & loud. Might recommend the Wrangler MTR's. I've seen nothing but good things 'bout 'em. They look like a great compromise tire and might get some myself very soon. Drink

Reply to
Drink

Reply to
Fruitfly

Reply to
Drink

Hey Larry... I highly recommend the Cooper STT if they are the new tread pattern...I'm running them on my ZJ and perform awesome in mud but not the very best on rock... The Coopers replaced my Goodyear MT/R's and I'll never look back...they have great road manners although a lil' noisy but no more than the MT/R's... The other tire I would look at if I were you would be the Interco TrXus MT...these are the best tire I've run on a daily driver (my '03 TJ)....it's awesome in mud and traction on rock is amazing with a nice road ride with a lot less road noise than most any other MT and the siping sure beats the hell out of driving on a solid block MT on ice... Good luck! Jeff

Reply to
4X4PLAY

Mt Waverley us a nice place, I lived in Lilydale and Frankston for awhile, and had friends in Waverley. Post some links to some photos of your off road trips.

Reply to
Rusted

We offroad trail run our 88 Cherokee and regularly run for hours on the highway in 4x4 and have BFG AT's on our Cherokee (our trip last weekend was 5 hours in 4x4 in a snowstorm to get to camp).

Unfortunately for us, we had a chance to swap rims with someone who had just as new tires on so we did a direct swap. We ended up going from a P225/75 R15 to a P235/75 R15.

Are we ever disappointed with the degradation of the traction! We lost very noticeable amounts of start up traction with the wider tire and lost about 10 mph of 'safe' control on the highway. It starts to float about 10 mph lower with the wider tires on it. It also spins easier in mud and sand.

Oh well, live and learn, I won't oversize tires on anything again without a lot more thought or at least trying them on someone else's to compare.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Drink