U-Joint replacement problem

I have:

1989 YJ 6-258 automatic transmission

In replacing my U-Joints (driveshaft), the grove where the snap ring fits in broke off. It broke off from the grove out, so an actual piece of the metal broke off. About 1/4 of the circumfrence broke off, so the snap ring will hold there, but it pops out easily resulting in premature U-Joint breakdown. This happened on the "Y" shaped part that slides into the transfer case, not the main part of the drive shaft. Normally when I replace the U-joints, I mark all of the parts so that they will line up the same way when I put them back in. If I get a replacement "Y" part, how do I make certain to get it lined up the right way, or is that even an issue? Also, is there an "official" name or part number for the "Y" part? Thanks in advance Richard M. Hinchliffe

Reply to
Richard M. Hinchliffe

That part is called a yoke, you need a new one.

You want the parts to align when you have the option of aligning them or not. If you replace one of the parts to align, then if isn't all that important anymore.

Replace the broken part and move on.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks, Imagine if you put a screw driver in the grove for the snap ring and then applied force. That's not what I did, but the somehow the effect was the same, while I was trying to put a new U-Joint in. I guess it must have had a weak spot to begin with.

Anyway, I ordered a new one. Thanks again to Bill and CRWLR. Richard M. Hinchliffe

Reply to
Richard M. Hinchliffe

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I squeeze the ring with diagonal pliers, and lift it out. If it is stuck, then a tap or two with the screwdriver and hammer usually knocks it loose.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)