Update on gas splash back on my 2006 Wrangler.

Well the dealer dropped the tank and found it's cracked (plastic tank) around the fuel pump seal on the top. My options are never fill the tank up all the way or get a new one. No plugged vent pipes or sticky valves. The tech said all that is good as new. Small consolation. I ordered a new tank since I intend to keep this vehicle for another couple of years and in Arizona sometime the gas stations are few and far between. I like starting out with a full tank.

FRH

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

On the bright side you found the problem before it got worse and road spray/salt/crap didn't make it into the tank.

Wonder what made it crack? Probably need to keep an eye on my 93.

Reply to
DougW

FWIW fuel kickback like you experienced is a pretty common problem with the TJs. I have read more about it than I ever wanted to and the solution so far has been to replace the fuel tank. The strange thing is, the new part number is the same as the old one in some cases.

On vehicles with current warranty the manufacturer was replacing the tanks. Some folks were able to get it replaced even after warranty, depending on the generosity of each particular dealership.

A TSB has been issued, and many of us have filed a complaint in the hopes that a recall would be issued.

On a final note, after replacing the tank, the issue has presented itself again in some cases, so keep an eye on it.

K.

Consumer reports 2010

Google link to more info than you likely ever wanted on the issue:

Kate