upper & lower ball joints after accident

Grrr... hope my insurance company isn't trying to screw me here, so I come here for help.

A month ago I was in an accident with my 01 TJ, a guy ran into my rearend and I had to get it replaced with a new one, which is great, but it still has a clicking noise coming from the left rear drum brake area, haven't tracked that down yet.

However, when I was hit, my jeep was pushed almost 10 feet sideways, to the right. My 33x12.50's (mud tires) I think had gripped the road so well that it tweaked my ball joints enough to get my front alignment outta whack. I got the jeep back a couple weeks ago, and the shop didn't align it, cuz the part of town I live in and where the jeep was worked on couldn't align the jeep with tires that large.

So I took it 15 miles across town to get an alignment and they said I needed new upper and lower ball joints, and even showed me how much they could move the front wheels when it was up on the lift. I called my insurance company and told them that it needed these repairs from the accident, and they just called me today saying that they don't think it's accident caused but they're gonna send an adjuster out friday to look at it and see.

Now, I know for a FACT that before this accident my alignment was perfect. Nothing at all was wrong with my jeep. Does this sound like it could have caused the balljoints to be loose as they are? I don't ride it like hell on the trails or streets, I go nice and easy, slow. It's got 53000 miles on it. Here in Florida there's only mud n sand I've never found a rock to drive over here. I could use some ammo against that adjuster, because I'm just getting a bad feeling about this. Can he tell if it was from the accident just from looking at it? I can't think of how.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Well.... Those are large tires and the added wear from them on things like ball joints and tie rod ends is major. Double that 'major' if you have wider backspaced rims and run in sand. Sand and mud puts a pile of lateral stress on when turning.

I wish you luck, but doubt the adjuster will buy the slide as the wear cause.

Mike

Troy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain