Using radiator transmission cooler for engine oil?

A few weeks ago I replaced my TJ's factory radiator with a Radiator Barn

3-core radiator. The one they sent had an automatic trans cooler built into the bottom tank. I have a manual trans in the TJ so I just plugged the fittings.

However, I was under my Superduty recently and noticed the factory oil cooler lines run from the oil filter mount to a fitting inline with the lower rad hose, using cooled coolant to cool the engine oil. So that got me thinking about the feasability of installing such an apparatus on the TJ, using the trans cooler lines on the new radiator.

Thoughts? TIA

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Shouldn't be a problem. Some rads have both a trans and oil cooler in them and the coolers are made from the same material. Engine oil and trans fluid operate about the same temp.

Chris

FWIW, in the old days we used to take the heat exchangers off of defunct refrigerators and use them as aux oil coolers on VWs. They needed to be flushed really well to remove any scale buldup, but they worked like a charm on cheapo desert beaters.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
Steve G