V8 5.2 in Laredo but...ECU is not working

I hope to find some help here about my problem. We made a real monster from one Laredo (1985 year). After many working hours 5.2L V8 engine from GC (year 1996) is now fit inside this Jeep. After we start engine it runs 8-10 seconds and than goes Off. (fuel pump, map, temp, and all other engine sensors are connected OK), since we use only engine CPU I'm pretty much sure that engine CPU send stop signal to fuel injectors because there is no signal form board computer, (CPU unit inside Grand Cherokee cabin) Is there any solution to make fake signal or emulate board computer ???

We need original CPU since electronic unit from automatic transmission will not work without engine CPU.

For final solution we can connect board cpu, but it will be too much wires and hard to find safety place inside !

Thanks for any help.

PS: Just for info, is there any code or other protection inside engine cpu, is there any problem to exchange engine cpu between same models ??

Reply to
Lex-Lutor

Just a wild guess, but have you connected the oil pressure safety shut off? There is a switch on the oil pressure sender that will cause the engine to shut down after a few seconds of seeing no oil pressure.

Other than that, I am not sure about the need for two computers to run things.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
philthy

If this is the case, then ask the $tealer$hip to disable the alarm system in the PCM you do have. If they have any sense, they will refuse to work on a highly modified vehicle, but it is worth a call.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Once a PCM 'learns' it's installed in a vehicle equipped with VTSS, it can't be disabled. At least not at the dealer.

Reply to
bllsht

There is no such switch.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
philthy

There is on my Jeep too...

Mike

philthy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The OP has a Jeep.

Reply to
bllsht

Not from the factory.

Reply to
bllsht

The PCM learns the alarm configuration when it's installed. Once it sees it, it always expects to see an "OK to run" signal from the alarm module or BCM, depending on the year. If it doesn't see it, you aren't going anywhere.

That's how it works.

Reply to
bllsht

What are you talking about?

It most 'certainly' does have an oil pressure safety switch!

On my CJ7 that switch is used to control the manifold heater and the electric choke.

Mike

bllsht wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

That switch is only there to keep from powering up the choke heater with the key on and engine off. It's not a safety switch by any means, and won't prevent the engine from running with or without oil pressure.

You of all people should know this after your engine rebuild fiasco on Jo's YJ, which uses the same system.

Reply to
bllsht

That is a far cry from 'there is no such switch'. On mine it does not prevent the carb engine from running, but it prevents burned up parts and saving a wiring or choke fire from happening would be called a 'safety' switch in my mind.

I was under the impression, maybe mistakenly, that this switch was also a shut down switch for the FI systems if they don't see oil pressure after a certain amount of time.

Mike

bllsht wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

A far cry from 'there is no such switch', eh.

And just FYI, Jo's old 'Nuttered' (no computer) YJ 258 engine that I helped her rebuild in my driveway in a snow storm a few years back is still running very strong and just passed another emissions test with flying colors.

If that switch had of controlled the engine, it would have saved a couple scary moments when we realized it had no oil pressure. No harm was done because someone forgot to read the directions on the oil pump, we caught on fast.

Mike

Mike Romain

Hi,

Mr. "bllsht" where I can send you prive E-mail ?

Send note to:

snipped-for-privacy@post.htnet.hr

Tnx.

Reply to
Lex-Lutor

Your words once again: "There is a switch on the oil pressure sender that will cause the engine to shut down after a few seconds of seeing no oil pressure."

To which I say again. There is no such switch. Get over it.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
philthy